Haulin'Bass

Bulk lead supplier

I was wondering if anyone knows were to buy bulk lead at? I buy mine from a tackle store here in town but, they only keep a small supply which is always out. I know they are getting it from somewhere but, the won't tell me because they want me to buy from them. Anyone got any suggestions? Thks, Jeff

I have made some good deals with home remodelers as shower stalls have 40# of soft lead in the bottoms. I have also gotten a bunch from hospitals that housed radio active medicine. If you have metal recycling centers around they sometimes have lots at a very cheap price.

When I can't find any free lead I go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and buy the lead flashing for chimneys. It comes in 50lb rolls and is very soft and pretty pure. For free lead go to the local roofing contractors and ask them for their scraps. Most are happy to get rid of it because it is considered a hazardous waste at the dump. I do not like using wheel weights the aloys in the lead make the melting proerties change. You have to really crank the heat and it doesn't pour well.

I actually like the harder lead for jig heads. I don't pour, but Barlows sells unpainted lead heads that are a bit harder than lead sinkers, and they hold up really well for me. I also think it's a little louder than the soft lead, too. Kind of like tungsten, except cheaper.

I buy 1/4" lead wire from Cabelas to use as ballast for my lures. Really easy to use. Just push it into a 1/4" hole, and add a drop of crazy glue, and, voila!

Just my :twocents:.

Always makes me chuckle when I read the line that alloyed lead from wheel weights takes a hotter pot and is tougher to pour when all of my experience has been just the opposite. Alloyed lead as used in wheel weights with antimony and tin melts at a lower temperature than pure (soft) lead. The additional tin and antimony make the finished pour harder and the melt (if fluxed and clean) fills mold details much better than pure lead. I use a variety of alloys from pure lead, salvaged bullets from the backstop, wheel weights and linotype (hard) and hands down, the lino melts easier, looks and pours more fluid and pours look sharp in details and shine like pure silver. Rather than believe me, Google the cast bullet form and see what the lead experts write about. Buying lead would be a last resort too, I see the on-line suppliers selling it for $3-4 an ingot. Ouch....of course all bets are off if you are messing with the newer zinc wheel weights.....scrounge at the tire shop or buy at the scrap yard....I'd gladly sell ingots for half what the tackle component folks sell it for, recently saw "sale" for $2.95/per.