bmaher287

Panfish Cranks

Many smaller crankbaits are balsa since its buoyancy helps float the hardware in a small package. There are a few TUers who build very small crankbaits and you can see some great examples in the Gallery. About the smallest store-bought balsa body is a fat 1 5/8" model available from Netcraft and a few other places. If you're talking small crankbaits, that size with #8 trebles is a killer panfish bait. For crappies, it is only useful for a few weeks in spring when the fish mover shallow to spawn.

Hi Whittler :wink:! Here's my smallest. Mahogany, #8 treble. I had to cut down and round the lip to get it to swim properly(was planning to when I made it). On this one I didn't use any ballast (other than #8 hook). I've made a few slightly larger and used a single #BB spit shot for ballast. Lip is 0.040" lexan available from hobby shops (or that auction site). I've only used Mahogany but recently bought some balsa so I may try that.

Here's a thread from last summer.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/13446-small-ultralight-single-treble-crankbaits-advice-needed-please-post-pics-3.html

For all my baits I make my hook hangers from about 0.031" wire (a guess, just some wire I bought at harbor freight tools). I make the hook hanger or tie in loop and then wrap wire around the main shaft. I'll wrap wire about 1.8 cm up the main shaft and then cut it down to about 1.5 cm. Then I use cheap and runny super glue to glue them it. It soaks into the wood real well and takes about 4-5 additions of superglue over about 3 days to fill the hole it.

3439d1215571054-small-ultralight-single-treble-crankbaits-advice-needed-please-post-pics-smallest.jpg

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

hook hangers.JPG

supplies.JPG

4579_thumb.attach

4580_thumb.attach

Edited by pizza

Guys, those little micro crankbaits are sweeeeeet.:yay:......My fishin buddy is a panfisherman.....but he mostly uses live crickets and worms.......I need to get him some of these to try instead.....I may have to get you guys to sell me a few for his next birthday.....I think i'll need a few for myself too...lol...those really are cool.....nice work guys.