• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KB Tackle

KB Tackle

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hi Guys, need help. I'm very new to the airbrushing. I purchased a Paasche VL and several bottles of Createx paint. My questions are (1). What pressure and which tip size? The colors I bought look nothing like the colors on some of the great looking baits I see on here. (2). Does Createx make these paints? (3). If not, which ones do I need? (4). Do you just prime with rattle can paint? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Kenneth

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

KB, some guys mix paint to get intermediate colors, some guys (like me) try to find and buy them. Check out the acrylic paints at WASCO -- Wildlife Artist Supply Company for specific colors that apply to wildlife, including fish. Createx paint is good but they sell mostly a standard color selection. Other companies like Smith Wildlife, Polytranspar and Van Dyke have more specialized colors. You can mix and match.

I shoot at between 40 and 15 psi, depending on the paint and what I'm painting. I use an acrylic paint shot through my airbrush as a colorbase, over waterproofing like epoxy or propionate. There are several good white acrylics with "high solids" (lots of pigment). I like Polytranspar Superhide White. Some guys use rattle cans but many of them leave a strong smell even after drying.

Use the SEARCH feature to explore some recent questions/posts about painting, airbrushes, etc. There's lots of info available in this forum.

#3 danderson

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:05 PM

Wasco paint is great from what I hear and it comes in fish specific colors. I don't have the time to have it shipped when I'm in my dungeon painting so I just mix mine. I use Createx.