mark poulson

Lure testing....you never know what will happen

I made four more 5" surface gliders, like the ones I just posted in the gallery, and wanted to test how they walked before I painted them.

I primed them flat white, put on hooks (a feather tail hook), and went up to the local pond, which is in a man made park in the middle of an old oil field.

I know they stock trout there, strictly put and take, and I was told that DFG shocked the pond and removed a dozen really big bass that were eating the trout.

So I just go up there to test lures, not to fish.

Well, this afternoon, around 4:00, I was up there, testing each of the lures. I was walking the last one back, over a shelf and up onto the shallows, when I got pulled down bigtime.

A kabloosh, and then I felt weight. I swung, and I was on. Thank goodness I had a heavy frog rod, rigged with 50lb braid and a 17lb mono leader, because the pond is full of debris and weeds.

I finally got her to shore, and she had the lure sideways in her mouth, with both trebles stuck in the sides. A 5 lb fatty! No camera, but there were a few regulars there who enjoyed the fight almost as much as I did. They were cheering me on. :yeah:

I had my fishing license in my pocket, like I always do, but I never thought I'd need it there. :lol:

Just shows you never know what will happen when you go fishing. ;)

That sounds like quite an adventure! That just goes to show that action catches fish vs a fancy paint job.

That has happened to me when I was testing some topwaters to lol, I didnt have the hooks on though so I just watched the fish try to eat the lure and I thought it was quite funny!

Jacob

John and Jacob,

It was fun.

Actually, I was shocked that there was a bass that big left in the pond, after I'd heard the big ones had been removed.

As I was leaving, I stopped to talk to a park employee who was dipping some of the snot grass algae out of the shallows, and he told me he'd caught a 21" bass out of there.

He said he was there when they shocked the lake to do a fish count and test the fish for mercury. When they started to remove the biggest bass, he made them put them back, and only take the carp, which were really prolific and out competing the catfish for food.

So, I guess that shows you don't know what you don't know. There are still big bass there.

He said the bass chase the bluegill first thing every morning, so I may have to take a morning trip up there with a walking bait, a bluegill surface swimbait, and a frog.

And my license, of course. :yeah:

@ mark poulson

Nice read , I've enjoyed it:yes: !

Never underestimate small or unknown waters , ...........most other guys do , so the fish in there can grow big:yes: !

Also have a pond round the corner , where I've tested my lures for many years now , but a sign post put up a few years ago there indicates "NO FISHING" now , .........I've always ignored it , since I wasn't sure , whether there would be any pike and perch in it but only non-predatory fish .

Before the sign was there , I sometimes used to catch bait minnows there with a long pole rod !

And indeed I've never hooked a predator accidentally , but I also always make a helluva noise on the water to chase them off the spot and also don't cast too far with my test lures .

Anyway , recently there was an announcement in the local community newspaper , that the guy , who stocks and owns the fish in these small town ponds(there are a few more around) , got to know about unknown persons poaching the fish stock and asked potential whitnesses to inform him or the local police station ,..... also offered reward , if my memory serves me right .

So well , I don't have any other easy way to test my latest lures January through April , so I guess , in future I would better now substitute the hooks on the lures for paperclips or similar for their test runs , ..........I can just imagine the dump faces of the cops , that might show up to investigate about poaching , ...............no hooks , no(illegal) fishing , no charge;):lol: !

greetz:yay: , Dieter

Dieter,

It stinks that you lost your test pond.

Maybe you could contact the owner, explain that you test with no hooks, or hooks bent over for weighting and action only, and see if he'll let you use it. That way, you could be his security guard! :yay:

There are lots of public golf courses with ponds that hold big bass. But you can't get permission to fish them. Only the employees do. I know a few who have stocked their courses ponds, and catch big fish all the time.

It is fun to know there are big bass ten minutes from my house. :yeah:

I'm already scheming and planning a trip for tomorrow morning!

Mark

Think you should do one or two in flat white????:D

I actually looked at the primer, and, since I had wet sanded it with 400 grit paper before I fished them, they actually have a gloss. And being wet accentuates the gloss.

But you bring up an interesting point. A friend, who builds lures, uses a flat top coat for just that reason. He keeps saying that fish aren't naturally glossy. But, in the water, his lures are shiny, too.

So who knows? I guess it's "whatever works".