mifon

Followup on Fluxing

I just went back through the "sticky" on Fluxing. I noticed it was written about a year ago. I'm curious to know if any of the contributors to that thread ( or anyone else) have any new info to share after a years worth of experience and experimenting on how, when, and what with you do your flux.

Mike

Since the big revelation by "sagacious" re: lighting the flux smoke all is well. Still like using a lighted bit of paper towel soaked in used paint thinner as an igniter. Only minor change is now prefer adding wax flux in 2 or 3 smaller bits consecutively rather than a single application of a larger piece.

I don't have anything new to add but I can say this: Fluxing the lead has made a HUGE difference in the texture and pouring qualities in my lead.

I'm just using the wax from old candles that are around the house.

Thank you for making this a sticky :yay:

Well you know what they say: Old tricks are the best tricks.

Fluxing of lead alloys has been around since the Romans. Much of the info in the sticky on fluxing is a compilation of knowledge and practices gathered over a span of years-- some of it learned the hard way. Depending on your melting setup and production methods, one may wish to adjust the technique to suit conditions, but the main goal is to gain a solid understanding of the methods and benefits of fluxing your lead melt.

For my application, paraffin wax chunks are still the most efficient fluxing medium for separating the dross from the lead. However, virtually any material that contains hydrocarbons will work to refine one's lead melt. Sawdust or used cooking oil will work as a fluxing agent, but present storage problems and aren't as convenient-- or safe-- in handling as a solid wax, such as beeswax.

Good luck all, and stay safe!