WishinIwerFishin

Need some advice on new swimbait design.

I just carved this bodie today, it's 7" now and will end up being around 7 1/2"-8" when finished with joints and tail. I call it the "California Kid"(someone let me know if this name has been used already, I dont want to deal with any copyright bullspit) and hopefully by next week it will be swimming....After I make a mold and cast in in plastic that is. I am in need of some tips for securing the hardware. Do you just drill holes and thread the eyes in or do you epoxy them in? Also how long should the eyes screw in to the body?

100_0882.jpg

100_0883-1.jpg

Edited by WishinIwerFishin

Nice start! I have no experience with cast lures so I cannot help with the hardware. If you have not already considered this I might suggest that you swim it before making a mold as swimbaits seem to take on a life of their own with regards to joint and weight placement, as well as body shape and design.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

That is a very nice carve that you did there! I have only made 2 swimbaits, the first one failed and the second one just barely swims right. I would say get some of that PVC decking and start to make some designs with that stuff. The reason why I would use PVC decking is because you dont have to seal it so testing your swimbait would be easier than out of wood.

Goodluck, Jacob

Uriah Faber is gonna sue you!!! :lol:

I don't know what you mean by threading the eyes in(never seen eyes with threads on the back). I would just epoxy them in.

Most weight will go in the front segment.

How many linkages per joint? (2?)

The more info you can provide the better people will be able to answer your ?'s.

Good luck that is a nice shape!

Edited by pizza

Uriah will have to wait and see if I sell any of them first, I will probably change the name if I do decide to try to sell anyway. This was already braught to my attention on another board.

When I said threading in the eyes I meant the eyelets used in the joints. line tie, and hooks. I plan on building this one with 2 joints, and I'll probably cast up 4 or 5 of them and play with diferent joint locations and maybe try some hinge type joints on one of them.