Joe

baits that hunt

Hi guys, Well, I finally have a computer at home. I just posted a couple of pics to the gallery. Hope I did it right. A while back, there was some discussion about baits that hunt. While putting hardware on some lures, my hand slipped while making a pilot hole for the line tie screw eye. The hole was about 3/16" above the center of the crankbaits nose. I figured I would try it and see what happened. Well, while trying the bait in the pool, the bait would run side to side about a foot in each direction all the while, the bait had a good tight wobble. The fact that the bait ran side to side didn't please me, but at the same time,the action was very interesting. I never really understood the hunting action of a bait. Could this be called a bait that hunts or did I just really mess up what should have been a good crankbait? The bait is 2 1/4 " long flat sided and weighted 1/8 oz. All other baits of this type ran true. Did the location of the line tie cause this to happen? Thanks, Joe

Hi Joe,

Could this be called a bait that hunts or did I just really mess up what should have been a good crankbait?

Some might say ya messed up a good crankbait. I'd say you've successfully created a hunting crankbait.

In the 1940's, the Mercury Minnow was manufactured by the Mercoy Tackle Co. of Detroit, Michigan. It had a mercury ballast that was supposed to recreate that darting or hunting action.

All other baits of this type ran true. Did the location of the line tie cause this to happen?

If everything is identical in all the lures constructed other than the line tie, then in theory the answer is most likely yes.

If you can replicate that action consistanly in the next couple lures, ya might have something there.

Post a diagram and a lip template like Blackjacks if ya do. :D

Shawn

I will have to agree with Art Brush. Nothing has to be like everything else. Your bait does not follow the norm. That is how things are discovered. My hat is off to you for completing the bait and not just tossing it. My understanding of the hunting action is that the bait will run straight and then jump to one side or the other and then go back to running straight again. The bait just keeps repeating this pattern. If your bait is staying straight up and not leaning on its side as it is shifting, then I would say that you have something that is unique and should be tried out and explored further. Sounds like a possible winner to me.

Skeeter

Skeeter, the action of the bait under water was the same as a topwater bait walking the dog. Only the shift from sise to side was slow and deliberate. The bait kept the same rythum and while doing that the baits wobble was good and tight, no rolling or turning on its side.I have tried to post a pic as a attachment, but I'm not sure if it didn't go through, or if the pic has to be approved before it comes up. Joe

For some reason, every time I try to send the attachment, the internet has an error and shuts down. Don't know why. Where's an eight year old kid when you need one? If anyone has an idea why this is hapening let me know. Computers arn't my strong point. Thanks, Joe