steelheadstalkers

-Spinner Blade Very Hard Top Coat?-

I am building some custom spinners for steelhead and salmon fishing and am looking for a very hard top coat. I am dipping the blades and bodies in UV epoxy and it turns out great but the epoxy eventually peels off. Also, if I heat up the UV epoxy as it is drying do you think it would make it bond better and become harder? If not once the UV is dried is there a good solid clear top coat or dip that I can use to seal off the UV underneath without blocking its UV properties? Thanks for all of your help guys!

What I meant above was that the same UV product is available in both a clear epoxy base and a clear powder coat base. So I'm not sure which will create the best and hardest, chip proof final product either the epoxy or powder coat? I would think the clear powder coat would work best because it would be baked on to the spinner blades. Thanks again.

Epoxy is heavy, it yellows over time, and it tends to creep away from the sharp edges on a spinner blade. Not ideal for this application, IMO. Dick Nite is specifically formulated for coating spoons and is a very durable coating. Easy to apply too - just dip it and hang it.

Epoxy is heavy, it yellows over time, and it tends to creep away from the sharp edges on a spinner blade. Not ideal for this application, IMO. Dick Nite is specifically formulated for coating spoons and is a very durable coating. Easy to apply too - just dip it and hang it.

Theres your answer, its the best stuff for the job

But I dont know if there is a clear powder paint, I thought I seen some before but not for sure.

I just looked on Janns and it said that they had some. Never used it before so I dont know how it will work.

Goodluck, Jacob

I have also used epoxy for the blades of my spinners, but haven't experienced any peeling yet. True, I don't fish for steelheads, but I don't think the type of fish you are after has anything (or much) to do with chipping.

I lay the spinner blades on a flat surface, and I apply thinned epoxy on the outside surface of the blade using a small paint brush. You have to apply just the right amount of epoxy, to prevent it to sag towards the edge of the blade. Also, the blades I use (copper or brass) have been sanded and cleaned before applying the epoxy, for better adhesion.

I do not use an epoxy with UV protection in it, since I think that chances are that I will loose the spinner before it would start yellowing.

After the epoxy is fully cured, I would sand the edge of the blade at an angle, because this way the epoxy will have less chances to peel off.

So I think that the key to succes is to use a thin layer of epoxy, on a surface to which it will adhere very well, and also to sand the edge of the blade afterwards.

I see no reason why I shoud cover the other side of the blade with epoxy, but I did it sometimes, and the epoxy has not peeled off as yet.

That's great information! I guess I should have been more clear about the UV and why I'm using it. Salmon and Steelhead see and feed using UV light in the ocean because it can penetrate deeper than visual light. I am adding it to reflect critical UV light off the lure. Also the reason that the spinners take a beating and peel is because they are fished near the bottom of the river and bang around a bit down there. This is why its hard on the spinners and the epoxy. Thanks for the help. and I will try some of the tips above today. I still think the clear powder coat might be stronger but time will tell.

That's great information! I guess I should have been more clear about the UV and why I'm using it. Salmon and Steelhead see and feed using UV light in the ocean because it can penetrate deeper than visual light. I am adding it to reflect critical UV light off the lure. Also the reason that the spinners take a beating and peel is because they are fished near the bottom of the river and bang around a bit down there. This is why its hard on the spinners and the epoxy. Thanks for the help. and I will try some of the tips above today. I still think the clear powder coat might be stronger but time will tell.

That sounds very interesting:?:?

My dad and I fish for Kokanee salmon and there are lures that advertise that and I never believe it makes a difference. Thanks for sharing that info, ill have to try some of this stuff on some spoons that I make.

Sorry for getting off topic, lol since it was here I wanted to say something about it:p

Thanks, Jacob

Not a problem! :) I have been doing some testing and have used UV on the micro jigs I sell for steelhead and have great success with them. I can tell you this, it definitely does not hurt to have some UV on your lures especially when chasing steelhead or salmon. The new pro cure bait scents have UV in them as well. Good luck!

That is very cool man! We have some spray UV and and the guy at the store said it works great, so ill guess well try that a lil more. Also another thing, have you tried anise as a scent? We put on corn and it works miracles lol, also do that for the walleyes to. And then last but not least it smells good to:lol:

Thanks, Jacob