shade_skyhi

what angle for lip slots

what angle do you cut lip slots? i heard best bbaits for lips are off round is this true i make a lot of round plugs. will someone tell me if i cut a 45 slot while my wood is square and then lathe it round would it work for my lip slot? help can someone post a tutorial on slot making thanks...........al

Shade, the lip slot can be cut while the wood is square and prior to turning it in the lathe. You'll need some practice to determine how deep to cut it prior to spinning and shaping.

Try about 35 degrees to start and experiment from there for baits with round bodies (lathe-made).

Generally speaking (very generally...as diemai said there is a lot to lip and slot angles), round lips have more action than square lips. But...that is not to say that round is always more desirable than square. Square lips are more dependable, meaning you usually have less chance of failure with a square lip. Square lips have a tighter wiggle or wobble and believe it or not on certain baits they will dive deeper than a round lip of the same length...but not always...and that is where only experimentation and experience will help answer your questions with certainty.

What species will your baits be targeting?