chisum

advice

i really need some help with finishing my lures, i can't catch many fish before they are wrecked. i know that this problem comes up alot. i use a 2 part epoxy clearcoat that comes from real pros sportfishing in ontario and its nice and glossy but not durable at all. if you leave a bait in clear box and it sits in the sun too long, it will turn the epoxy tacky to touch. i can catch about 20 walleye/pike and then the clearcoat is penetrated-2coats, at this point its not long before the basswood absorbs water and won't run true anymore. before painting i apply coats of white lure primer that also comes from real pros, then i spray enamel over it. it kills me that i can get the lures just the way i want them but can't finish them right to withstand very many hits. i read of guys using the envirotex and devcon but i have never seen them here in ontario. i don't make a ton of lures - i just want the few i make to last. help would be very appreciated. thanks. scott

Make sure you seal your lure proir to painting. So take the flex coat and put it just straight on the wood. This ensures you that if your clear coat gets penetrated then its just gonna mess up your paint job.

Also another thing I have never had the flex coat on my rods ever turn mushy and we use the poles in the hot of summer. Maybe your not mixing the stuff correctly, it sure is touchy. lol I learned that the hard way.

Goodluck, Jacob

In my opinion propionate is the best wood sealer by far. I usually dip my baits 6-9 times, then after painting use Devcon or Flex Coat for the clear. There are a lot of guys on here that will recomend Dick Nites' or E Tex, but I have not tried them. Even if your clear coat is compromised the propionate will keep the water out of your wood unless you hit something and take a chunk out of the side of it. I don't fish for toothy critters but I am sure someone on here could testify how well it holds up to teeth punctures.

Scot i bought e-tex at micheal,s crafts on wonderland across from home depot, that was about a year ago. last time i was in there a few weeks ago i didn,t see it so not sure if they still sell it or not. also saw it in home hardware (st thomas) about six months ago they had it in the 32 oz size around 40.00 i think. If micheal,s still carry it wait for they,re 40% off coupon in the london free press. That size will last you a long long time if your doing small cranks. If you want to try etex before buying it i could set you up with some. PM me if your interested Jim

Scot Home Hardware still has the e-tex it,s in the paint section, aisle 36? towards the back, bottom row.Rona doesn,t carry the nu lustre 55 in st thomas but they,re going to check if london has it and give me a call i,ll let you know.If you buy the etex i found measuring it with syringes is the best. You can buy them at TSC can,t remember the price but i,ve been using the same ones for a few years now. Good Luck