1 reply to this topic

#1 12spot

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

Can anybody send me a cutaway view or a description of the assembly,
of the Suick Musky lure ?

I can not:huh: figure out how the cotter pin and hook assembly are configured.
And I do not wish to cut one open.

Thanks for any help

#2 diemai

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

@ 12spot

I assume , that you are talkin'bout that certain diving pullbait with the metal tail fin .

Well ,..... sorry , can't provide the requested images , but I have seen that cotter pin arrangement in an American Musky video(got some homebrew adaptions to the European video system from the end and mid 90's) before .

As far as I remember:? , the cotter pin leads snugly through a center bore 90 offset to the lure's lengthwise axis , the front shank of the cotter pin is cut off a little lower than the lures back portion(thus does not protrude) , the rear shank is bent backward two times ,.......first a smaller portion at its end is bent 90 offset towards the rear , after the entire shank is bent backward down the backportion and bent into the(soft) wood , so that the first 90 offset bent would deeply pierce inside of it .

I guess , this operation is done by chucking the cotter pin's eye at belly of lure firmly in a vise and then utilizing rigid pliers and hammer to have the job done .

If the wood material should be too hard for the offset bend to enter(thus sit reasonably snug to back portion outline) , one can use a Dremel with router bits to cut a groove and a hole before bending down the rear shank , so that these would accommodate the bend .

I have never worked with these original cotter pins from a tackle store, but I have adapted that principle for homemade pins of 1,0 mm SSt wire , this one I had bend in a "T"-manner(both shanks 90 offset towards front and back) and epoxied into grooves , that I had carved on the backs of the lures .

If you PM your private Email adress to me , I could send you pictures of some pictured German angling magazine essays , that I wrote some years ago ,........these show my own way of furnishing such cotter pin hook hangers .

Can't send them in here , because their size is too large to be accepted and I don't know , how to minor their size coming from my computer file ,...... apart from that , no details would be visible anymore , if minored :o .

greetz , diemai:yay: