golfs321

hard plastic baits

I don't mold crankbaits myself but there have been a number of threads here about molding baits with Alumite and 16 lb foam. Use the SEARCH feature to find them. There may also be a tutorial on it if you go to the Forum page, Member Submitted Tutorials, Hardbaits. Change the time limit on the bottom of the list to "From the Beginning" to display the most entries. http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hardbait-how/11916-slip-molds-hard-baits.html

Edited by BobP

I use Alumilite and Featherlite ( from Smooth On ) and like both. The Featherlite is easier to mix because it already has a floatant already in it. With Alumilite you have to mix microballoons into it to get a bait to float. The only problem I have with Featherlite is that I get a lot of air bubbles in the surface that have to be filled with Bondo. Either product will give you a very durable bait.

David

I use Alumilite and Featherlite ( from Smooth On ) and like both. The Featherlite is easier to mix because it already has a floatant already in it. With Alumilite you have to mix microballoons into it to get a bait to float. The only problem I have with Featherlite is that I get a lot of air bubbles in the surface that have to be filled with Bondo. Either product will give you a very durable bait.

David

Hey David, good advice there. I used to cast my own plugs and seeing as I work with resins etc I understand your frustration with having to fill pinholes. It will drive you nuts. My solution was to first paint in a brushable gelcoat. White always served as a good base to paint from. You don't have to wait until it cures either, just bolt up the mould halves, wait 15-20 minutes and pour.

Hey David, good advice there. I used to cast my own plugs and seeing as I work with resins etc I understand your frustration with having to fill pinholes. It will drive you nuts. My solution was to first paint in a brushable gelcoat. White always served as a good base to paint from. You don't have to wait until it cures either, just bolt up the mould halves, wait 15-20 minutes and pour.

tauruck, thanks for the info. I will try this.