68KingFisher

New paintbooth build in progress.

Thought i'd share my paintbooth build with you guys.....As most of you know by now I've been airbrushing motorcycles and helmets among other things long before I ever decided to paint crankbaits which is what brought me to this website.....after the tornado hit our little town on 4/9/09 my old shop had been damaged heavily. We took this opportunity to make a few changes....the main one being a fully enclosed paintbooth area.

We took the existing 12'X20' shop and built a wall seperating the inside into two 10'X12' rooms....I built a intake filter box to the left of the door that has four 20" sections that hold several filters in each section....my home furnace as well as the intake and exhaust filters will all be the same 20"X20" filter size.

The exhaust system will be constructed on the wall opposite of the intake filters.....my plans are to have two towers of filters running up each corner of the room....these will be powered by an old household style furnace fan that can move 2200 cfm on high speed....I have used that fan for a couple of years and it works very well....i'm anxious to see how well it will work in this configuration....if need be i'll add a second fan and double the exhaust capacity.....the fan will be mounted on the outside of the shop as it was previously.

As of this afternoon i'm still applying drywall mud, so I just stood a couple of filters in the corners of the room so you'll have an idea of what i'm going for......i'll post more pics as I go if ya'll are interested?

I know this is overkill for most of you unless your into production painting lures, but I thought you might like to see it anyway.....this will work great for my motorcycle and helmet art and will allow me to shoot basecoats and clearcoat with my full size paint gun and not worry about overspray or trash getting in my clear anymore.:yeah:

Thanks for looking and i'd love to hear your comments.

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

Paintbooth.jpg

Paintbooth-1.jpg

Paintbooth-2.jpg

Paintbooth-3.jpg

4597_thumb.attach

4598_thumb.attach

4599_thumb.attach

4600_thumb.attach

KF - Interesting project and something I have been thinking I should be doing, I have the fan, just need some mDF and motivation. Will the 'spray booth' be between these filter towers or in front of the exhaust tower??

There is a recent thread (past 9 months) on building a booth, this may have a few tips??

Like your little shed, looks very cosy.pete

Will the 'spray booth' be between these filter towers or in front of the exhaust tower??

Pete, the whole room is the "spray booth"....Instead of sitting in front of a small booth, like you guys are used to seeing.......Once I get the exhaust system built it'll make more sense....i'm gonna try and have that done by the end of the week and i'll post more pics then.

Got the fan box built and mounted on the outside of the shop today, now I gotta build the plenum box that'll run along the floor between the two filter towers.....Pete this style crossdraft booth is about like painting in a wind tunnel...lol

Its not cold here at the moment....I think we hit 103 today....lol...the large exhaust system is mainly for when I want to shoot basecoats or clearcoat thru my full sized guns....I'm looking at adding some type of smaller exhaust unit that won't move near as much air, for use when airbrushing only and I don't need that much exhaust....but for now I plan to just kick the big fan on periodicly....can't let it run all the time or it'll clear out all my conditioned air....or heated air depending on the season.;)

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

Paintbooth-fan.jpg

4602_thumb.attach

All but finished building the plenum box today.....Now to build the framework that holds the filters....I taped some in the corner just so I could get a look at where i'm headed....its comin along nicely....I'm still on schedule to be done with it this week so I can get back to airbrushing....lol:lol:

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

Paintbooth-4.jpg

4603_thumb.attach

Well I finished building both exhaust filter towers this afternoon....I need to do a bit of caulking and then run the wiring for the fan switch and i'll be good to go....once i've got the walls painted i'll post a final set of pics....I'm really excited to finally have a decent paintbooth.....thanks for lookin.

Paintbooth-filter-tower.jpg

4605_thumb.attach

Looks like it's getting there KF, I bet you would not be sitting there if the fan was going.pete

It ain't that bad Pete....lol...its not like i'm windtunnel testing Nascar race bodies in there....lol......Actually, I hooked up the fan and did a test run yesterday, and I was very pleased with the results....its not a windtunnel....but it will vent out anything in the shop rather quickly.....I was sanding the drywall mud yesterday and all that white powder was falling to the floor, so once I got done sanding, I kicked on the exhaust fan and then hit the powder on the floor with my airgun....boy did that raise a white cloud of dust in the shop....hehehe....but, the fans pulled it right out...in just a few seconds the shop was clear.....So i'm sure its gonna work well for paint fumes and overspray.

Man, a dedicated, custom built paint room with air ventilation/filtration! Makes me want to kick the wife's car out of the garage and shoo out all the gnats, mosquitos, and crickets. But then I think.... what would all the lizards in the garage eat? And when the lizards expire, what would the snake visitors eat? It's a slippery slope.

Well i'm basicly finished with the paintbooth......except for the fact that i'm a terrible electrician and burned the high speed outta my exhaust fan when I wired it up incorrectly....Grrrrrrrrrr:censored::pissed: But i'll get my hands on another one later...they aren't too expensive...in the mean time i'll be using low and medium speeds only...lol.

Lastly I was fortunate enough to have a buddy stop by and gave me an old wood kitchen cabinet that I decided to use for paint storage and a small bench....its gonna work out great other then once I started puttin my paints and stuff in there I quickly realized I had alot more then I realized....hahahaha....comes from years of being a packrat....lol....Heck I even found a full set of VanDykes taxidermy paints that I forgot I had...lol

Well, I hope you guys got something from my build....I know its not exactly what the majority of you need in a paintbooth, but my hopes were that a few of you would take some of my ideas to use in your own setup one day.....It was completely built from scrap lumber and the only cash outlay was for drywall mud and tape, and some caulk and primer......it ain't no fancy high dollar store bought booth, but it'll do everything this poor boy might ever want to do.:yeah: and then some....Thanks for lookin.

Paintbooth-exhaust-finished.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

Paintbooth-storage.jpg

paintbooth-paints.jpg

4616_thumb.attach

4617_thumb.attach

4618_thumb.attach

Edited by 68KingFisher

KF,

My hat is off to you. Fine job, very good looking set up that appears it will serve you well. Of course it is nice, neat, clean, . . . NEW! Shoot us a pic in a month LOL!

Just a suggestion. If you can get your hands on an old refrigerator, use it to store your flammables in rather than having them in the open area of such a beautiful work place.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Naaaaaw....I'm a neat freak...lol....it'll never be much dirtier then it is right now or i'll go crazy till its clean....I'm kinda OCD about that...lol....In a month or so the only difference will be the addition of some murals on the walls....lol

Interesting tip on using a fridge.....too bad I just gave one away a few months back, but it was a workin fridge and I donated it to a needy family.....I am keepin my eye's open for a used fireproof cabinet since i've bout got enough to fill one...lol