GSXRfanIm

Swimbait thought...

Has anyone tried to make a swimbait with the back tail section hinged to go up and down instead of side to side?

Sorta like how a mermaid swims....Yeah, dont laugh but you know how bass are. It would be something different for them to attack. Plus, isn't that sorta how Crawfish swim through the water?

Just curious if anyone has tried building one and how it turned out.

There was another guy who made a flounder swimbait about 6 months or so ago( hell it could of been a year ago, things are starting to blend together now:sauced:)I cant remember the fellows name off hand. It swam very well and there was a poolside video. now this is going to bother me, I hate when I cant remember a baitmakers name. It was the first of the flounder swimbaits that I can remember seeing( maybe not the first one made but the first one that ive seen).Maybe someone can remember this baitmakers name.

Smitty919 made the first one I am aware of in this thread: flounder plug

I don't remember him having a video, though.

Ah, here we go, this is the one with the video: flounder plug (different thread, same name)

The video of the hopkins' flounder is incredible (actually, both the videos in this thread are incredible; the other one is for his lure with articulated pectoral fins that flare out when the lure stops) : Some new lure videos

well guys if you think about alls the flounder is doing is just swimming on its side. So its like having a lure that swims on its side. So just put the ballast weights on the side and then shazam you got a swimbait that swims like a flounder.

I dont make swimbaits so Im just saying how I would approach such a lure. Lol it sounds easier than it looks:lol::lol:

Goodluck, Jacob

It sounds easier than it looks

Especially when you consider you are trying to ballast a flat lure swimming on it's side meaning the ballast is going to have to spread out over a wider, flatter area in order to keep the center of gravity in the proper place, so there is less margin for error in placement (I would imagine; never done it so I don't know).

Especially when you consider you are trying to ballast a flat lure swimming on it's side meaning the ballast is going to have to spread out over a wider, flatter area in order to keep the center of gravity in the proper place, so there is less margin for error in placement (I would imagine; never done it so I don't know).

on mine i had to spread the ballast out along the width of each segment. also, the shape of the body was flatter on the bottom and the top area was more rounded.