dhockey11

Iridescent Effect

Hi,

I am trying to get an irridescent effect on my crankbaits, similar to the one I hope shows up in this post. On this bait I used Luhr tape, which looks great, but is way too thick, covers up carving details and is a pain in the behind to work with. I had to scrap two of the three baits I started with this technique. So, my question is, are there other ways to do this, special foil or paints?

I have done some research on here and learned that you can get expensive paints to do this, but they're expensive and I'm in college. I also heard that layering paints can give this effect, but I'm not sure how effective that is. Any ideas, thoughts or comments?

This is a pic of the second crankbait I've painted. The other is a craw. I will post em in the gallery when my camera works, but I wanted to illustrate the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks,

dhockey11

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

Green Shad.jpg

4601_thumb.attach

You could try covering the lure with a clear mylar, or cover the lure in mylar and paint transparent colors over it. Mylar isn't the easiest to work with (according to hazmail who has used it quite a bit), but you can get it cheap. I am sure others will have other methods for you to chose from.

you might be able to find some house of kolor rattle cans (kameleon kolors, like yellow to green fade or red to purple fade etc) for $7. They aren't being made any more but a local hobby shop around here still had some(on clearance for $3).

You might also consider getting some thin Al foil like "ultra foil" from the dollar store and covering the bait with it. Then try thin layers of difn't colors of paint over it.

Another option is getting a base metal coat (rattlecans)like krylon "X metals converter-reflective base coat" or "Dupli-color metalcast - anodized surface color system metallic ground coat" and spraying them down. Then try thin coats of difn't colors over it to get a irredescent effect.

Can't guarantee an irredescent effect with the last two but they they are something to play around with. I really like the dupli color metal cast and x metals rattle cans. I usually don't put anything over them. They are really sparkly (multi faceted surfaces on a very fine scale)and shiny.

Edited by pizza

Tracy's Stained Glass Workshop - BriteBak Silver Tape

The easiest way to foil lures is with tape, and the best tape I've found is Brite-Bak silver tape made for stained glass art. It's thin, adheres well and can be shaped to the bait much easier than thick aluminum duct tape (and it's more reflective). Around $10 a roll. When you say iridescent, that's different from reflective which is what foil will give you. Iridescence is done with iridescent paints from any of the many acrylic paint companies. If you want iridescent paint to really 'pop' shoot it over foil.

Edited by BobP

II also seen a clear coat at advance auto that is suppose to have an effect similiar to it it was made by duplicolor

Good luck

I gave that paint a try. I it's the same paint color change paint that the 'tuners' (in my day we were called hot-rodders) use to get their cars to change colors as it drives by.

I got mine on clearance at Walmart. It worked fine, but I picked a lousy color for baits.

Since is reacts to the angle of the sunlight, I'm not sure how much color change will happen under water.

It's a three part process. Base coat + Color change coat + Clear coat. This is an automotive grade paint so make sure you vent well if you use it inside. It really stunk up the house.

Gary