mhz

Balance question, BIG wooden trout swimbait

I started working on a wood swimbait at home. It is my first one, and it is a lot of work!

I probably screwed up because I just grabbed a scrap of pine from my leftovers pile, and when I'm done I bet I'll wish I'd have bought the right material. Anyway, right now the one I'm making is 12", but not jointed yet, so I will probably shorten it some.

It is real heavy and I'm thinking about cutting it vertically lengthwise and hollowing out a chamber approx. where a real fish's swim bladder is, to adjust weight/buoyancy.

I'm just a beginner, and I'm wondering if anyone has design tips that might help me make it float/sit in the correct swimming position. Right now I'm afraid it may just turn onto its side, but I don't really know if I can stick it in water at this early carving point!

Do you wood carvers float your baits to see how they sit? Then do you have to wait days for it to dry, or does it dry fast? :?:

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

troutbait_small.jpg

379_thumb.attach

Hey it looks like you have a great start. I am a beginner to crank building but would guess that you could get this bait to swim like any other if done correctly. You might take a look at Chip's latest tutorial, it's a few subjects down in this forum and will give you most all of the direction you will likely need.

Don't worry about getting the lure wet, it will dry fairly quickly if put near a heat source, wood stove, etc. If you are going to get the bait wet, why not get it very near the shape and size you want then with some rubber bands hold some weights in place along the belly to get the correct aspect and depth? I'm guessing you will have to use a considerable amount of weight to get this hummer at the level you will want him at. So long as you have the correct amount of weight and it is centered along the belly of the bait it should sit in the water correctly. Be extremely careful in choosing the angle of the bill, bill size, and tow-point as these design criteria are cricical to the final outcome. Again, take a look at the big trout lures Chip is building for an idea on how these things should be situated.

Others more experienced than myself can provide additional direction.

Have fun.

Jed