BassNator 1

A Question For BlackJack on the Dee!

Hey Coley and Black Jack or any of the seasoned pros, help me out on this one. Im enclosing a photo of my carvings I did recently... not quite done yet. Got to cut the lip slots and prime it. These are all made of the 3/4 inch Poplar. I cut out the lure design on the flat side with the table saw. Then I tape it back together and cut the top side on the table saw. I cut the tail to its slight taper, then round off the front end of the lure. Take the pieces apart and carve and rasp away. I was under the impression that you taper the tail ends. and round off the fronts of the lures? :?: At least on that bait or others. I dunno... remember Im still anewbie haha and Maybe Im carving my baits wrong. Let me know and tell me what you think. Cody

lures2

Cody, The flat sided crankbaits I make look just like yours. The difference is I cut the bait on a band saw . If the body of the bait is 1/2" wide I mark the center of the nose and center of the tail, then I carve the bait so that the front width is 3/8' ,the center is 1/2' and the rear 1/4'. After carving, only a small portion of the bait is left with a flat side.This has worked well for me, but I guess it's not a true flat sided bait as Skeeter discribed. Joe

Joe thats exactly how I have been doing mine. A flat sided bait sure would be faster for me to do thats fer sure! For some reason I never thought of doing the flat sided baits (ACTUALLY KEEPING THEM FLAT). I dunno why! :?: I mean I started with a block of Balsa and ended up with an almost flat bait, then I started with FLAT WOOD and still tapered it, it sure seemed easier even though the wood was harder, but sometimes its good to hear that LESS WORK IS GOOD! LOL Im laffing at that one cause you guys helped me out, and Im smacking me in the head for not getting it earlier! Gonna give it a try after I finish these ones! Thanks Cody

Coley is exactly right, I used to try to put the lip in afterward which will not work everytime, huge bummer after carving the bait. I too have carved baits that are rounded and tapered but in the end a flat-sided bait will likely catch as many fish anyway, saves a ton of time in construction, and allows you to be much more consistent from one to the next.

Jed

I have a Flat side" to my baits that I use to cut the lip on it so I have been OK. The others I have done it wasnt all that hard.... except the first one I cut. I cut the lip slot too big... I puttied it up and it was great! Since Im kind of new to the carving of the lures I have been more afraid of carving the lure off of its axis. I must say though and not to sound cocky they turned out pretty darn good and Im pleased with them. Now though that you guys pointed me in the right direction OF LEAVING THEM FLATTER.... heck thats even more easy and a piece of cake. I have also been concerned about the PROPER DEPTH of the cut. But again... Im learning and getting the hang of it. So thanks for the help! Cody