atrophius

Slopeheads

@ atrophius

Such lures usually have a very "soft" action , when cranked , meaning that they would not wiggle rapidly like a lipped crankbait but rather come back in an irregular wave pattern , but with rod tip manipulation you can get some more out of them ,.... most likely .

If you want an improved wiggling action on straight retrieve , you need to achieve that by the body shape , which has to be curved downward in that case , the greatest extreme of this would be a "Banana" style lure(posted threads and gallery pics about these) .

Also I had found , that lures with a somehow "stepped face" , meaning , that they have more than only one plane , ("Swimming Mouse" , "Bomber", etc . check my earlier gallery uploads for my knock-offs , there are also more of other members in the gallery) , have a more rapid wiggle compared to such with only a single headplane .

These kinda baits were amongst my earliest lures , just spindle-shaped with a tail taper and an about 45

Hey, thanks for that info. It makes more sense to me now. I made one yesterday and it has a one faced slope less then 45 degrees. I tried it in the tub and it does an action almost like a jerkbait. It zig zags back and forth on movement. I thought it to be a pretty neat action. Definitly a functionable movement, but I think I am gonna play with angle and line tie some more....along with some more research on those. Thanks again!

@ atrophius

I assume that you are refering to the flat-bodied type on page 16 of my gallery uploads , that I have named "Rolf's Wiggler" ,...... as I have uploaded another elongated simple pullbait on page 19 , which is made after a pattern download from :-:-: Lure Making :-:-: The Official LureMaking.com Website | Tackle Components | Lure Components | Lure Making Information | Lure Making Supplies , a Canadian component mailorder company .

Anyway , that "Rolf's Wiggler" has a weight embedded into deepest part of belly to let it hang afloat at rest with just the back sticking out a bit at horizontal level .

I fish it with long sweeps , it would than swing left-right a few times ,...... as the sweep ends and the line gets slack , it would dart just a little(maybe 1 1/2 body lengths) 90