golfs321

Painting plastic lure problem!

Hey guys I have 5 unpainted 5" minnow bodies that I painted with rattle cans and the paint came out perfect. The scales, colors, and shading were perfect on them. I let them dry for a good 15 hours, went back and applied a thin coat of clear coat. The paint instantly wrinkled on them and I am not sure what went wrong.

I used krylon plastic primer, krylon spray paint, and some valspar spray paint and I let the lures dry in between coats.

What could the problem have been? Did I not let the final coats dry for long enough before applying clear or what?

@ golfs321

I'd second to Mavrick:yes: ,...... I had have that happen even with two different brands of paints , but both solvent based spray paints .

Some topcoats can spoil your paint job as well , so always try before for compatability , wait for a day to see what would happen(I had lures looking alright at first , wanted to proceed about 24 hrs later and had to face the mess) .

And it does not matter , whether on plastic , wood or raisin lures , it's just the paint !

good luck , diemai:yay:

thanks for the input guys. I had 4 out of the 5 be successful with the clear coat, but the one wrinkled up. All 5 had both valspar and krylon spray paints just different colors to get the shading down.

how do I post pics? Id like to show you guys the paint jobs and see what I can improve on!

What kind of clear coat are you using ? I to use spray cans and have had a few mishaps,but not with the clear coat.As some have said some paints are not compatible even the same brands will sometimes wrinkle after applied.I use to dot my eyes with the drill bit technique until I ruined some perfect (well near perfect)paint jobs.It seems I had trouble with the paint on the bit technique if I doted the eye over where it was faded.Not so much over solid color.I have went to the stick on eyes.You can get some pretty cool looking eyes if you use one color of a larger size and then another color of a smaller size over the first one.I use D2T epoxy and have got some pretty good results.Hope this helps....Rob

@ golfs321

I had have it happen with only particular colors as well , some kind of one-component topcoat(called PUR topcoat in German) only wrinkled metallic spraypaints , but not other colors of same brand .

greetz , diemai:yay:

@ golfs321

I had have it happen with only particular colors as well , some kind of one-component topcoat(called PUR topcoat in German) only wrinkled metallic spraypaints , but not other colors of same brand .

greetz , diemai:yay:

Big clue right there! Simply because spray cans are from the same manufacturer does not mean they're compatible. In fact, I'd guess that there are incompatible paints somewhere in the product lines of every brand, although you will find some consistancy between similar paints of a single brand. Metallic paints will likely be compatible with other metallic paints of the same brand, but probably not with the standard color line; and unfortunately, most labels and ingredient listings will still leave you in the dark---Many people assume that enamel means that it is an oil base product, but this is not true, just as acrylic can be a water base paint, but doesn't have to be, even though a water-based paint will be an acrylic.

Paint & color compatibility is a big advantage of an airbrush paint system, along with pressure control, which gives you accuracy, producing overspray(odor & mess) control, and eventually, economy. Of course you'll also be able to take advantage of much greater color selection too! If you've already learned to paint via the rattle-cans (sure sounds like you have), switching to an airbrush system will make every aspect of your painting easier, and more fun!

Dean