MuskyGary

candy foil for foiling?

Has anyone tried this stuff for foiling? www.candylandcrafts.com Comes in all different sizes and colors! Look under candy making, then packaging, then candy wrappers. If I use a spray adhesive and two sheets of candy foil for each plug ( one sheet for each side) looks like a cheap and easy option for foiling. BUT I haven't tried it; any of you guys tried it?

Never tried this but got some gift basket wrap from Michael's craft store. A huge roll for around 7.00 $. This stuff is transparent and has an irredescent sheen to it. Glued it to some foil tape, then rolled it with a knurling tool, applied to the bait, paint and top coat.

Looks great and has some serious flash in the water but not very photogenic. So all that being said try it over some foil for killer effects!!!!! MAV

I've used similar from potato chip bags and various candy wrappers. Some of it could not be textured, and some very little, using it by itself by spraying 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive on the back, as opposed to the way Mavrick did his, which allowed him to texture his much more easily.

I clearcoat with Dicknite's Topcoat, but over foil it is necessary to coat the foil with epoxy first, then paint (& heatset Createx), then clearcoat with Dicknite's.

Whie I got some flashy colors by doing this, I find that it's easier to use my standard thin silver or gold foiling tape, texturing it the way I want, and then painting it with transparent colors.

Dean

IMO, try using silver BriteBak foil tape designed for stained glass art. Foil tape is the easiest way to foil and BriteBak is the best foil tape. You can use any foil from candy wrappers to cigarette packages to mylar space blankets for foiling. The problem is gluing it on the lure without wrinkles and texturing it. BriteBak solves those problems and is quick and easy to use.

I have used candy foil for most of my baits. I have a gold and orange foil that I got from joanne fabric or some other store that my wife drug me to. It works great. Give your bait a light spray of adhesive and glue the cut to shape piece on your bait. Work it smooth with your fingers and rub out any small wrinkles.

Joe

I noticed this post and just pasted this here from another thread. There are a lot of options.

There is an aluminum foil called "ultra foil aluminum foil" at the dollar store I got. By far the shiniest aluminum foil yet. You could go with that or even try mylar if you don't want to spend that kind of cash on a lure. I added a pic and video.

. Attached Thumbnails 4612d1248225622t-chrome-paint-crankbait-001.jpg

I'm a big fan of Ultra Foil. It is by far the flimsiest and thinnest Kitchen foil sold! For its' intended purpose, it's quite awful, BUT for lure building, its' frail demeanor makes it the best foil for dressing a lure, IMHO.:twocents:

I noticed this post and just pasted this here from another thread. There are a lot of options.

There is an aluminum foil called "ultra foil aluminum foil" at the dollar store I got. By far the shiniest aluminum foil yet. You could go with that or even try mylar if you don't want to spend that kind of cash on a lure. I added a pic and video.

. Attached Thumbnails 4612d1248225622t-chrome-paint-crankbait-001.jpg

• Like 1

That is what i use. It is real thin and it easy to work with. Color selection is real good too. The back side on the colors is always regular dull foil color. I would suggest before painting that you coat it with etex or d2. If not most solvents will remove the color.

Brite-Bak adhesive foil from Venture has been the easiest to use in my experience.  It's thin enough that you can burnish the edges and make them disappear without coating the foil with epoxy. Some like to epoxy over the foil to get the paint to stick better and hide the edges, but I never felt the need to do that.  I lay the bait on the foil's paper backing and trace its perimeter, the flip it over to trace the other side.  Cut it out with scissors, stick it on the bait, smooth down the edges, and texture it with a knurled tool handle (I use the little removable knob from some Vise Grip pliers).  I've tried spray glue and various foils but it was always a messy process and my results were not very pleasing.  The Brite-Bak is quick and easy by comparison, at least for me.  It does come in various colors but all I ever use is the silver.  If I want it tinted, I apply a thin spray of transparent Createx.  Note:  The Brite-Bak "gold" foil did not work well for me.  It was brass color, not a gold, and it would discolor eventually after finishing the bait.  I think Venture pulled that one from the market.  Don't know whether they have come out with a better gold foil but a shot of transparent yellow on the silver does the job for me.

I have been using candy foil in silver or gold for many years now. Use a permanent glue stick and coat the lure and foil, doing one side at a time. Smooth with a burnishing tool. Then using a knurling roller (Ratchet handle etc.) go over before glue dries for scale effect. After letting everything set up coat with D2T then paint, etc. etc. Remember to overlap at top and bottom. I usually only add top and belly colors leaving sides shiny.