cidgrad

spinnerbait arm length

Bought some spinnerbait bodies and tying to make a few SBs of my own.

How do you guys judge the right length to trim/bend the arm for the blades?

I've already compared to the factory made ones, but they all seem to be about the same length regardless of number of blades. Wasn't sure if this was a money saving move on their part (no trimming wire - less time in making) or there was a reason not to trim (maybe less vibration, blade fouling in hook more, etc).

Thx in advance!

If you bought the bodies then all you need to do is add the blades and bend you loop, you don't need to trim any wire unless you want a shor arm bait or you want it to run a certain way. I bend my own wire and I know how long to make the blade arm for the baits I use, most of the time I want my main blade that is attached to the swivel to extend past the hook so that the bend of the hook falls around the center of the blade.

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason you prefer the blade in the center? More success, etc? The shorter arm bait is what interested me a little and prompted the question. Particularly on a single blade bait. I'm sure I will need to play with them and test, but just wondered to save some mistakes and wasted bodies.

I prefer the hook bend lined up with the center of the main blade because I feel it gives me a better hook up ratio, bass mainly go after the blades at first until they see the body and alot of times they will hit the blades, with the blade positioned over the hook I catch a good bit the only hit the blades. The reason you see the short arm on single colorado blade baits is because of the way most people fish it which is dropping it down ledges or deep holes, the short arm keeps the blade away from the body, hook, and skirt which allows more water resistance so the blade will spin freely as the bait drops.