rotorhead

hook hangers

8 posts in this topic

I appreciate all of the good info I have gotten off of the site since I started making hard baits. One question that I still am not clear on is the best diameter of stainless steel wire that should be used for hook hangers. I want to use stainless steel because I sometimes use some of the baits I have made to fish for red fish :yay:and sea trout :yay:plus anything else that will bite.

Thanks Rotorhead

@ rotorhead

Good choice about SSt screw eyes , the ones made of brass are not as sturdy by far , .....even had them snapped off , when twisting them into too small pilot holes in hardwood !

As far as I am concerned , there are three different diameters of SSt screw eyes available , also different shaft lengths , have a look in the download catalog of Welcome to Moore's Lures , all dimensions are stated in there .

Once I have also bought the tickest diameter screw eyes at "Stamina's , but with a shaft length of 2" (designed to hold prop blades) ,..... these where the longest , that I've ever seen .

You need to make your choice of screw eyes after your target species , lure size and lure material ,..... f.e. would be useless to use the smallest diameter screw eyes for big muskie lures , ........in softer woods the threaded shank should be longer for a better grip , ......etc.!

I always epoxy them in , anyway , ....I'd extend their pilot hole a bit at its entry , so that a kinda "glue-plug" could evolve there .

good luck , diemai:yay:

I hand twist all my hangers and use Malin hard temper .031 " dia wire from McMaster-Carr. Ain't no redfish gonna break it. You can also use Malin Hard Wire 180 lb test .029" dia leader wire. Comes in a 6" coil in a neat plastic envelope at tackle shops. The coffee color makes a nice stealth hanger.

Edited by BobP

@ rotorhead

Good choice about SSt screw eyes , the ones made of brass are not as sturdy by far , .....even had them snapped off , when twisting them into too small pilot holes in hardwood !

Yes stick with stainless, it cost more but it wont snap off in the word..... its a :censored: when that happens

Goodluck, Jacob

Many thanks guys for the information. The stainless steel is the way to go. I have also had the brass screw eyes break when I tried to screw them into the lure body. They usually break off just below the surface so it is next to impossible to remove them. I am still rather new to lure making but an old hand at wood working. The wood working techniques are similar however the finishing quit different. Since I have been building model planes for about forty years I have used a sanding sealer made by Pactra to seal the raw wood. Usually several coates with a light sanding in between and you are ready to paint.I have found it to work well but you need to use it in a ventilated area. I recently tried a new paint called Craft Smart someone mentioned it in one of the posts. It is sold at Michaels crafts stores. The cost is about .50 cents for a two once bottle. It is a little thicker than the Createx I have used but it thins well with water, can be heat set and is a lot cheaper. Anyway thanks for the help. Everyday is a good day if you can fish or fly.

Rotorhead

You can also look in the how-to section. There is a tutorial in the hard bait section on how to make your own eye screws and twist them easily. I use some galvanized wire from home depot in usually a 20 or 22ga. It depends on what you want to do though. DIY or bought.

i use 19 guage stainless steel wire. i'm not sure what the diameter is on it, but it says 19 guage on the package and thats all i look for.