silverdoctor

propionate on balsa

After two or three dips, the surface is fixed with the plastic. The first dip soaks in, the second dip fills any remaining pores, the third dip gives you something to sand. A light sanding to remove the raised grain, followed by another couple of dips should give you your prep. If grain is still evident, sand and dip again, until smooth.

A light rub down with scotchbrite or 600 grit paper, should give you good paint adhesion. This method works for me.

Dave

Dave; Thank you very much!

On my thick, tapered baits, I'm getting the reverse of raised grain, kinda like elongated pull out. Not real deep but annoying. The raised grain is easier to handle. I am now in the optimistic camp again! More experiments (with less screw-ups, hopefully.)

ken

The balsa has to be sanded smooth to start (you knew there was no Free Lunch!). I sand down to 400 grit and then dip 6-10 times in prop solution. If any areas are rough after 2-3 dips, lightly sand them before continuing. For baits I fish myself, I don't get too worried about minor surface irregularities on balsa because I topcoat them with epoxy, which hides minor problems. As I understand it, commercial builders often use what they term a "build coat" to smooth out irregularities in balsa before finishing. It's more, and thicker (typically about 1 mm thick), than a grain filler. You see it on a lot of balsa baits if you strip the finish. One product I've heard used for it is flooring glue.