madbass

Your hobby work area/bench....

How about some pictures and ideas of your hobby work area? I am planning a new work area/bench for lure making. I thought it might be helpful, not only to me, but to all of us. Since most of my lure making is cranks/airbrushing that is my focus. But I still do a little soft plastic hand pouring as well. So lets see what you guys got.

@ madbass

Utilise search function , type in "who has the messiest shop" ,..... some pics in there , how it probably should NOT look like:huh::o:):lol: .

You could also google terms like "luremaking" , "making fishing lures" , "painting lures" , "my workbench", etc....... , also type these into the search function of www.youtube.com , you might find some images to inspire you in there as well :?:wink:.

greetz , diemai:yay:

I don't have pics of it but I got a butcher block from a grocery store remodle. It is 2"X5'X6'. I bought 2 bathroom vanities on closeout from Lowe's.

I put the two of them back to back and set the block on top. They are fastened together but the top is loose and can be moved to suit what I am doing. Right now I have it overlapping one side by a foot so I can sit under it in a stool for close work.

The vanities each have 6 drawers plus a large storage in the middle. It houses lots of stuff and is always handy.

Prochallenger,

Now I like that! I often thought about picking up an older single wide and converting it such as you have. They are pretty easy to find and cheap enough for sure. The added features are you already have heat, a/c, hot/cold water and bathroom facilities right on site. Great idea. I bet you have got the wheels turning in a lot of guys heads now. :yay:

WOW! With a case of beer in the fridge you could be gone for the whole winter! What a man cave! Im going to have to come up with something like that. Building a new 10x16 barn now for a workshop. Going to insulate and hook up electricty. Wife is talking about moving her foulks in with us so I have to hurry and get this project done!:yes::yes::yay:

Most of you have probably seen my paintbooth build in another thread.....but for my work area i've always prefered something mobile.....What I use mostly is an old engine stand that I mounted a steel shelf from some industrial duty cabinet I salvaged one time.....it makes for a heavy duty mobile work bench....Its the perfect height for me to stand and work on something which I do alot of.....I even stand alot of the time i'm airbrushing....guess that comes from years airbrushin tee shirts on an easel.

Anyway, I have a moisture trap mounted on the end of the stand that feeds air into a mini regulator/water trap thats mounted down below....i've also got a 5gal bucket mounted as a waste can to pour solvents or paints into.....i've got several Paasche style airbrush hangers mounted around the stand so I always have place to hang an airbrush......I use an old Plano tackle box as my airbrush box....it sits on top and holds all my airbrushes, tools, parts, pens, pencils, knives, pipe cleaners, stencil material, etc.....My lamps are also mounted on mobile stands so they can be rolled around easy also.

From my attached photo you can see how I just pull my paintbench up besides one filter tower and I just sit in front of that and spray away......For general airbrushing I have the ability to close off either of the exhaust filter towers and just pull from one side or the other....this helps keep me from exhausting out all my conditioned air from within the shop....In fact, i've built a restricter plate or dampener so to speak so I can restrict the amount of air i'm pulling from either side.....When I shoot the full sized paint guns i'll open both exhaust towers, but for airbrushin its just overkill....I guess I could have a second artist sit in front of the second exhaust tower and we both could spray away...lol

Having a mobile workbench and rollaround lighting really helps me utilize the small space that I have.....If nessasary, I can roll everything into the corner or out the door and bring in my motorcycle stands when I need to paint those.....the mobile workbench also can be removed and a motorcycle frame can be mounted to the stand and rotated 360 degrees.

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

Mobile-work-area.jpg

4658_thumb.attach

• Like 1

I am amazed at how neat your work are is, and how you can paint so well. :worship:

The last time my garage shop was that clean was in August of 1981, when I first moved into my house. :lol:

If I had your setup, I'd drape some washable filter cloth over the green AC filters, to catch the wet paint before it clogs the filters themselves.

I am amazed at how neat your work are is, and how you can paint so well. :worship:

The last time my garage shop was that clean was in August of 1981, when I first moved into my house. :lol:

If I had your setup, I'd drape some washable filter cloth over the green AC filters, to catch the wet paint before it clogs the filters themselves.

I've never heard of washable filter cloth......what is it and where do I get some?

PS.....yes i'm a neat freak.....just can't help myself.....I hate a nasty dirty unorganized shop.....If I walked in your garage I'd probably start helping you clean it....lol...just the way I am.

The filer fabric I'm familiar with is available at masonary supply stores. It's what we drape over gravel backfill behind retaining walls, before we add a soil cap, to keep the muddy soil from percolating down and filling the voids between the gravel. The water can pass through, but not soil.

Any loose weave fabric, like a light cotton, will work. Just as long as the air can pass thru it. The wet paint will stick to the fabric, and, if you're using water based or borne paints, you can run it through the washer after you paint. Old T shirts will work.

Otherwise, for solvent based paints, you can dip it in TSP (tri sodium phosphate) to get break down the paint, and then wash it.

You can use synthetics, too, but be sure the solvents won't melt the fabric.

Edited by mark poulson

Now thats a work area.....nicely organized.....I think....lol:?....I'm sure theres a method to all that madness.....You may have to share that with me someday.

Your setup kinda like a tee shirt airbrusher would be with a multiple gun setup....for production work thats really the only way....whether its tee shirt or crankbaits.....Nice mancave dude.:worship:

So Gene are you moving out of the house??- And is that the corner where you had your lathe?

I can imagine you sitting at that island bench carving a head - looks great. I would put a picture of mine up but I don't have a wide enough lens to take in all the gadgets (and Junk). pete

Edited by hazmail

Gene,

Very impressive. I used to be that organized, not sure what happened since then though. I believe you will be very pleased with your workspace. It appears you have put a lot of thought and planning into it.

Blades,

Yours is also very impressive. It appears a bit more 'inhabited' than Gene's, but what can one expect from a 'cave' ( I love that description).

Pete,

No, I haven't moved out yet but if continue to spent all my time out there I'll be adding a bathroom next, if you know what I mean.;) Yes, the bench is in the area where my lathe was. I moved the lathe to the back wall next to the bandsaw and dust collector.

Jerry,

I added the lip to save me some time. You know, to keep me from having to pick all of that crap up everytime I knock it off the bench.

Reeves,

You should have seen it before I cleaned it up; especially while I was building the cabinets.

Blades,

I see that you have a little room left on your bench so, I have about a hundred crankbaits that need to be painted that you can add to that empty space. Just take your time painting them. I won't need them until late next week.:D

Gene

You guys have some great set-ups!

I would show you pictures of my mess but things are spread all over the place! I do my cutting, shaping, drilling, and lead pouring in the garage. The painting I do in the kitchen because I use the water to rinse my brush between colors. For the clearcoating I go back to the garage again...........it's disfunctional but it works for me!

:drool:

jed