mainbutter

Any "how-to"s for airbrushes?

Theres alot of airbrushing info posted on this forum if you'll dig thru the old threads using the search engine....there are also alot of videos posted on Youtube and other video sharing sites that show people using the airbrush....i'd also recommend droppin in on sites like Airbrush.com and look thru their how-to's....Learnairbrush.com or Airbrushtech.net all have how-to sections and tons of good info for the beginner.....There is alot of airbrushing how-to's on the web once you get to lookin around.....Unfortunately, not too many of them are about painting lures...there are some just not alot....but if you'll combine everything you see from all the sites you'll get a handle on it....lol

In a nut shell, you need an airbrush and an air source....preferably a compressor with a storage tank....and some paint and your ready to start spraying....don't start painting your best lure just yet....start out by gettin a bit of practice familierizing yourself with the airbrush by just spraying on some paper or a piece of cardboard or ?....alot of tee shirt airbrushers use a roll of paper towels thats hung above their easel, and they just unroll the next towel to paint on....cheap and easy for practice.....a little spray glue on a peice of cardboard behind the towels holds them in place so the air doesn't blow'em around....Practice doing fades....see what happens when you move the airbrush up close to the surface away from the surface.....practice fading one color into another and see what happens....see what happens when you point the airbrush straight at the surface and what happens when you tilt the brush left or right....airbrushing is about controling air and paint...that means controling where the paint goes....you'll quickly learn how overspray can go everywhere without control.....control takes practice....now that your feeling good grab a piece of metal or aluminum to paint on...something with a hard surface and practice your fades and details again....painting on a plastic lid from a rattecan might be good practice for painting plastic cranks....now jump on your lures and you'll be alot more prepaired.

An airbrush is nothing more then a tool, but just so you'll know...learning to use that tool takes a bit of getting used to....specially if you get a dual action airbrush(which I highly recommend if your serious)...just expect a bit of frustration with it at first....its a combination of learning the capabilities of the brush, and learning how to reduce your paints....you'll learn to listen to your airbrush....it'll tell you when the paint is too thick and needs to be thinned....it'll tell you that you have an airleak and thats why your brush is spittin and sputtering...lol.

The airbrush is an amazing tool and in practiced hands can produce amazing results....but like anything it takes some practice, but if you'll keep at it you'll get the hang of it, and then the tool becomes an extention of our hand and works like second nature without you thinking about it.....thats when you can start having fun with it:wink:

Edited by 68KingFisher

Great Stuff Mr. KingFisher68!

I personally started with a "complete airbrush kit" and Compressed CO2. $18.00. I accidently tipped the can over and froze my leg; not a good thing. The brush was a joke.

You will find that many on this site have gravitated to Iwata brushes, me included. Reliable, easy to use and clean but expensive. I didn't have good luck with a far east knock-off.

Take an introductory course before buying a brush because (if it's a decent course) you should get a chance to shoot a few different brands & types of brushes which may give you some idea of what you might want. Also, once you buy your brush take an introductory course or two. They are generally not too costly & could shave several months if not years off your knowledge & learning curve:yay: