gone2long

Your thoughts on dipping station

I was thinking of a way to consistently keep 3-4 small pots of plastic at temperature and here is what I came up with. I am going to make a lid that fits snug on my presto pot and secure 3-4 narrow pots in the lid and secure some type of ventilation for the lid.

I am thinking that if I fill the presto pot with say vegetable oil to a height that will provide the heat to the pots I could maintain the proper temperature for the plastic. Obviously with narrow pots the amount of plastic will be minimal and will give me several color combinations to work with. Was just wondering what your thoughts are on a system like this.

Someone recommended Non-aqueous specialty liquid phase heat transfer fluids. Im looking into that, I was aware of oil degradation from prolonged reheating it's the principle I'm looking at. I don't make tubes yet but I would like to, I haven't decided yet on dipping or a 2-piece mold and injecting with a hand injector but dipping clearly seams to be the way to go for multiple colors though.

Mrbilky,

We had major discussions on this subject when the hollow minnow baits hit the market. Then all the big dogs hade one and it sort of fizzled. The main problem was keeping a consistent temperature throughout the length of the dipping tubes. Here is what I came up with before I set it aside.

This is a fry baby deep fryer. It heats vegetable oil to 320 degrees. While this is hot enough to keep molten plastic molten, it takes forever to re-melt cold plastic. The last thing I tried was small pebbles in with the oil to hold heat. I also thought that aluminum oxide sand blasting media might hold the heat better.

If you plan to use a presto pot you should have a better temperature range and straight peanut oil should do the trick.

The tubes are thick walled aluminum candle molds. I was thinking of an aluminum lid with holes cut in it to help keep in the heat. I was going to have my local muffler shop flair the ends of the tubes slightly to keep them from falling through the holes. Hope you can use some of this stuff. Good luck.

• Like 1

Very nice, someone led me to a site that sells heat transfer fluids that will not degrade & have an extreme flash point so I'm waiting to hear back from them but same idea but I thought by securing to a lid I would get added safety and keep heat in speeding the temp process but your setup is basically the same I'll post when I get additional info.