silverdoctor

twisting wire

I bend the wire around a drill bit clamped in a bench vise, pinch the ends in vise grips and twist away while exerting moderate pull on the pliers. It's easy to twist even hard stainless up to .0403" diameter so I don't feel the need for an electric drill or hand brace. The wire is warm after twisting - maybe that's the strain tempering you mentioned?

I have used both methods. It is practically impossible to use a power drill to twist medium hard wire. This method is good and quick for soft wire only. But again, it happened to me that the wire broke because of overtwisting it. That I can understand. But the wire also broke sometimes as a result of moderate twisting. This I cannot understand. So now I twist the wire by hand, using a drill bit in my left hand, around which the loop is already formed, and a flat nose pliers in my right hand, to twist the wire. It takes a little bit longer than the power drill method, but I think it is safer for the strength of the wire.

Anyone that has ever worked on an airplane engine will recoginze these as safety wire pliers. They are used to twist stainless steel wire to keep nuts from backing off.

The handle has a pull that is attached to a spiral rod that spins the pliers that are clamped to the wire. These are available at Harbor Freight Tools for around $7 to $10.

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

safety wire pliers.gif

4632_thumb.attach

I spent 18 years in the Navy Reserve. I was one of the last piston engine mechanics and I'm sure the military version of these pliers cost 100s of dollars, but these should do well for luremaking.

Here are the links for the two sizes:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Happy twisting.

Gary

Wire locking pliars, brings back memories of my aircraft aprenticeship, toooo many years ago.

I prefer a loose barrel twist. My pull tests have proved it to be more effective. But most use a plain twist with no problems, so it cannot be that bad. Just something else to consider.

Dave