.dsaavedra.

Applying 3-D Eyes

I use a scalpel or Xacto knife tip to remove the eye from it's backing and then stick the edge of the eye to the blade. Turn the eye over and apply your adhesive of choice. While the added adhesive is still wet, brace your hand against a support and position the eye exactly where you want it on your supported lure. I then use a wood dowel to press lightly against the eye to expel any surplus adhesive. Bingo! it's done.

Oh yeah, you might want to measure and use an awl to punch the center of the eye pupil to make alignment a little easier. Making a jig helps too.

Hope this helps. Go fish.

John

What is the problem with the end result?On wood lures depending on the size of the eye and also depening on what you are using for clearcoat,if using epoxy you just need to stick the eye in place and press it firmly for a few seconds,if the glue on the eye is weak you can press the eye in position and then take a tooth pick with some super glue and dab it on the eye edges,this works well to hold it until you clear coat it either with spray clear or brush on,or if you prefer ad a larger drop of glue over the whole eye once it is in place,it will run all the way around and glue in firmly the lure,try a few test on the glue and the paint to make sure they are compatible,just some trial and error involved.

A couple of years ago I made a few lures with such eyes , ........I have found it to be impossible to stick them onto curved or round surfaces ,... as they are not flexible .

So I had always cut an indention for either eye to obtain a plane surface for the eye to stick on properly , .........I have used drum-shaped router bits for this purpose , ......fixing the lureblank into the vise of my drill press .

The indentions have to be slightly larger than the eye diameter , since some primer and paint may set into them and won't allow for sufficient fit anymore .

Stuck on the eyes onto the finished paint pattern , the final topcoats would cover them and they could not come off anymore .

greetz , diemai:yay:

I go with the same approach as Dieter on this one. I use a forester bit for my eye sockets though. So now the eye is not trying to stick to a curves surface but a flat one from where I drilled with the forester bit. So far its worked great:yeah:

Goodluck, Jacob