mainbutter

Wire twisting

Harbor freight tools sells a set of pliers made for wire twisting. They have them in a couple of sizes. I have the large size. I use the same method as TC Lures with the vise and nail. but instead of a drill, I use these pliers. they lock on the wire and you just pull on a knob on the back of them and they spin and twist the wire. does an excellent job.

John

I have a 6 or 8 penny finish nail with the flair of the head ground off nailed into my workbench. I cut off my wire pieces and use round nose pliers to fold the wire in half so I get a rounded versus pointed loop. I then grip the two ends in a pair of vice grips, this is key as the vice grips will lock down on the wire and it isn't so tiring trying to hold the wires. I then slide the wire over the nail and twist counter clock wise until I get a nice tight twist. I twist counter clockwise so that I get a normal righty tighty lefty loosy screw effect when screwing them into the wood. Then I just cut the pieces to the required length with diagonal cutters. I try to do a bunch at one time and just have enough to use for a while. And without vice grips you'll kill yourself squeezing!

I am using Malin brand Stainless Leader Wire, #15 278 LB .035 dia available at your local tackle store possibly and certainly from BPS.

Not sure this would help anyone, but i work in surgery. To bend some wires so the have a uniform 180 degree bend in them, we used an instrument that looked like a jewelers pliers. Only difference was there was 2 prongs on one side of the jaw, and one prong on the other. So when the pliers were squeezed, the one prong would pass through the 2 prongs and bend it perfectly. I tried to show it in my wonderful MSpaint art, but a set of pliers like this would be very nice for through wiring or starting an eyelet.

Might not be to hard for someone to make a pair.

G'day all

I twist a lot of wires up in various sizes & grades. Although you can use a cordless drill or an electric drill with a clutch setting or similar I prefer to use the old eggbeeter hand drills, I also made a few different sized bits to twist the size of the eyelet I require, as an example an 1/8 inch pop rivet is perfect size for twisting up small eyelets. I made a small frame/stand that attaches to the bench & fitted a pair of good quality vice grips in the frame to suit the height & angle for me to twist the wire in comfort, the vice grips & frame are all welded as a permanent set up, I also had extension handles welded to the vice grips to make it easier to open & close them. Its then just a matter of making a small jig to bend your wires around & so they are all the same length & or make up a number of jigs for the differengths lengths you require with different lures. Basically you should end up with your wire being like a U shape, place the two cut ends in the vice grip, close, use the eggbeeeter & twist bit to twist wire up with gentle pressure towards you. The wires will come out straight & identical every time. Once you get the hang of it its quick, I usually twist up more eyelets while I'm waiting for epoxy to go off & not waste time. Once in a while the wire will snap, so safety glasses should be worn as a precaution. Hazmail seen the results of the method used to twist the wire, when I get a chance I will attempt to do a tutorial with photos etc,unfortunately I always seem to be busy & don't get much time on this site & when I have I have had a lot of problems trying to post, cheers Balls.

Yep I used to use the cordless drill but 'Ball's' method is the best I have seen, perfect loops and dead straight spirals - If you can get your hands onto some those 'safety wire' pliers, you get the same result, I found the wire ahs to be on the soft side though.pete

Has anyone ever tried a rebar wire tie twister. We used to call them pig tail twisters. Seems like you could double your wire, put the ends in a vice and while pulling back against the loop of wire just twist to your hearts content. Never twisted any wire for what you guys are doing, but thought this might be something you could use.

Ben

I have been using safetywire twister pliers for 20+ years. I use the 6 inch models in manual only. The auto or spring return is no good for the light gauge wire we use. I use 24 gauge but 20-22 is better for a beginner to start off with. Milbar and armstrong are the brands that I use. My first pair was matco.

Edited by 21xdc