.dsaavedra.

Hinge Pin Hole?

A drill press does not get that much use and can be difficult to justify the expence. But when I gave in and bought one, I can say it was one of the best buys I ever made. I am hopeless at drilling free hand.

The only suggestion I would make, is to drill the hinge holes before shaping, then if you really foul up and cannot rescue the job, you save all the shaping labor.

Drill to the centre from each end and then run the drill right through (drilling freehand).

Dave

@ DSV

One can make fish catching lures with only a handsaw , a carving knife , some sandpaper and an awl fort piloting the screw eyes , ........and maybe a few handtools more ,.......... but with increasing complexity of lures intended to build one surely needs to think over gearing up a bit .

Even if it may initially hurt a bit in terms of the bugdet , there soon comes a time that you would not want to miss on your investment anymore and also find out about new options in your work;) .

good luck , diemai:yay:

I drill my hinge pin holes by hand, using a cordless drill.

I use a small bit for the initial hole, and drill from both ends. That way, if there is a mis-alignment, I can correct it with the larger bit that's the actual size of the hinge pin. In my case, I use bicycle spokes for hinge pins.

Once you've got the bit started, concentrate on the spot that you want the bit to hit across the hinge gap, and aim the bit for it, like shooting a pistol. You can tell pretty quickly if there is any drift, and you can correct it with the next pass with the larger bit.

I've been using hand held drills all my adult life, so I may have a better aim than most, but it's not a hard skill to master.

It is easier in PVC than in wood to drill by hand, since there is no grain to make the smaller bit drift.

In the past, when I still made jointed lures out of wood, I used the drill press, and a jig, and drilled from both sides while the blank was still rectangular. I used only the larger pin bit when I used the drill press, since it drifted much less than the small pilot bit, and I used a hand held drill with the same bit in it to correct any mis-alignments. I found, as long as the entry and exit holes were tight, a little slop in the middle holes wasn't that critical, since the spoke wire is so stout and strong. And I used thick crazy glue to fill any really bad mistakes, and then redrilled the holes.

One tip I'd recommend using is to make the hinge holes a little farther back from the joint face than you want the finished hole to be, and then sand the joint face down to get the clearance you need. A hole that's too close to the surface will ruin the entire piece, since it will not have the strength you need for a swimming lure's joints.