bleachedfan

need help with lure making!

hey everyone, i want to start making my own lures but i dont know how, and after looking through the threads i realize how much i dont know! so, if anyone has the time, maybe someone(s) could make me a newbe list.....woods, materials, websites...stuff like that..here is a list of things i didnt understand...

1. which glues, epoxies

2. which woods to use

3. do i need wood hardeners and why?:eek:

4.where to get materials

5. which paints to use

6. tools

i dont understand much, but i have killer ideas....HELP!!!!

BF, there's still a lot of info on the specific subjects you listed, both here in the Hardbait forum and in the Member Submitted Tutorials, which you can access using the menu bar at the top of the page. After you access the tutorials, go to the bottom of the page and change the time period from "Last 30 days" to "Since the Beginning" and you will get a wider range of topic to peruse.

BTW, some topics on your list naturally show how confusing it can be to read topics by guys who build crankbaits differently. For someone just getting into the hobby, here are short answers to some of them, using a basic but perfectly good "build scheme".

Glues - You can use Devcon Two Ton epoxy (aka D2T)to waterproof wood before painting, to topcoat the finished lure, and to install hardware. Some use other glues, but D2T can do it all.

Woods - The most popular woods are balsa (for shallow baits where you want maximum buoyancy), cedar, and basswood (hardwoods that work well for medium and deep divers). For a first batch of baits, the good working characteristics of basswood are hard to beat.

Hardeners - epoxy is a good hardener/waterproofer. Dilute it with lacquer thinner before brushing it on so it will soak into the wood better, but use it full strength as a topcoat and to install hardware.

Materials - You can buy wood and paints at a hobby shop like Michaels or Hobby Lobby, or you can order it on the internet. Several companies like Janns Netcraft offer pre-cut wood blanks, lips and other hardware if you don't want to "roll your own".

Paint - Probably 95% of all hobbiests use acrylic latex paint, and most of them apply it with an airbrush. It's non-toxic, easy to apply, quick to dry, and simple to clean up. The paint makes the bait pretty. The topcoat keeps it on the bait and makes it waterproof. Createx airbrush paint is the brand most widely sold and used, but there are other companies on the internet.

Tools - I use a scroll saw, a sander, and a Dremel with lots of bits. Other guys use more, less, or different tools. It's about shaping wood, making it smooth, installing lips, ballasts, and hook hangers. There are lots of ways to do that.

Edited by BobP

I just started doing this myself, and I HIGHLY recommend a scroll saw or a band saw. I picked up the cheapest band saw I could find, under $100. For all the money you can spend on this hobby, I'd say a cheap band saw was the most worthwhile investment.

Other than that, I just use a utility knife with disposable blades for carving.

I just started doing this myself, and I HIGHLY recommend a scroll saw or a band saw. I picked up the cheapest band saw I could find, under $100. For all the money you can spend on this hobby, I'd say a cheap band saw was the most worthwhile investment.

Other than that, I just use a utility knife with disposable blades for carving.

where did you find a bandsaw for under 100 bucks?

Wood.. Free to 50 bucks..depend on what you have..

Paint... 50 to 1,000 dollars..if you want alot of color options

Compressor.. 100 to 300 dollars.

Drill Press... 100 to 300 bucks

Airbrush... 25 to 400 dollars

Hobby knife...5 dollars

30 min epoxy to seal wood.. 3.95

Sander.. 100 bucks

Dremmel 60 bucks

Lexan 30 bucks.

RTV RUBBER. 200 dollars

Resin 100 dollars

Sand paper, gloves, and paper towels.. 100 dollars.

Selling a lure on ebay and getting some money for it! VERY VERY HELPFUL!

Catching a fish on something you made....

PRICELESS!