68KingFisher

AZEK question.....

K/F - DON'T THROW IT AWAY--- with a Forstner bit, drill a vertical hole in the top as deep as you think, then cap it off with something - maybe stuff some tissue in and cap with bog?? this extra air should give you some buoyancy where you want it (opposite to lead ballasting) - I'm finding sometimes it's as good to have neutral timber as it is to have heaps of buoyancy (Balsa), for me this is especially true in 'swim baits'.pete

I gotta admit, the thought occured to me about drilling a hole and filling it with spray foam or something...or nothing, and just plugin the hole to see if the trapped air might help.....guess that'll be the next test.....thanks Pete.

I can't say Trex has no place in lure building but IMO, you would be better off with a body material that has at least a slow float with hardware, lip and ballast included. Building crankbaits is a lot easier if you work with just a few body materials. E.g., as you work with balsa, you get a feel for its buoyancy and what it takes to build balsa baits that dive and swim the way you want - how it shapes, how much ballast it requires, how to best fit lips and hardware into balsa, and how to finish it. Switch to another body material and you start from scratch. Unless you plan to become a Trex crankbiat expert, I'd let it go. The cost of crankbait materials is insignificant compared to the work you put into them and their worth as fish catching lures.

She probably overheard you when you found out it sank and said, "Oh, crap!'. ;)

Seriously, I thing BobP is right. I'm pretty sure you could find a way to make it work, but it's not worth all the extra effort.

We are constantly trying to cut down on steps in manufacturing a lure.

Adding steps just to make Trex usable seems to me like a big waste of your time and effort.

Edited by mark poulson

We are constantly trying to cut down on steps in manufacturing a lure.

Adding steps just to make Trex usable seems to me like a big waste of your time and effort.

That sounds reasonable to me....i'll find another use for the Trex and move on to a different material.....I did snag a couple of pieces of red cedar that I can start with for now....Thanks again for all the great advice guys.