RayburnGuy

making and using templates

BobP said something in my last post about using templates when painting small details such as lateral lines and gill plates. Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on templates. Such as what material is used and maybe some advice on how to lay them out for different parts of the bait.

thanks, RayburnGuy

You can use just about any sheet material for templates but I like frisket material that is made for the purpose. 2 things you want - a film you can cut easily with an Xacto knife, and a template you can bend to conform to the sides of a crankbait. Frisket material is a clear plastic film with a peel off paper backing. The tip I have for using it is to never remove the paper backing. If you do, it becomes a one-time template. Besides, the adhesive on the film is often strong enough to pull fresh paint off the lure. Leave the backing on, shoot one side, dry the template, reverse it and do the other side. Voila, both sides exactly the same. Then save the template for next time. Frisket material is sold in art and hobby stores.