.dsaavedra.

Name on Baits

well i tryed the calligraphy pen from the crafts 2000 store it worked but was a pain in the azz to me. also got a good deal on 25mm micron pigma pens on sale, one dollar each. tryed them, and the sharpie. found i could write alot smaller with the micron than i could with the sharpie .

now as for the clear coat i found if you apply a couple light spit coats of clear and heat set ( i use a old hair dryer for that) you can then clear coat or dip with out the ink running

Ever sit and ponder why three of the best painters/tackle makers gave the same answer, but yet the sharpie posts ran on for 3 pages???

dont know if you are refuring to me .......but those kind of remarks really makes me want to donate my money to become a member:boo::nono:

thought this is a site for people to ask questions ........:?

so now do i support the tackle underground and give them my money ??????? i will be thinking long and hard :?:?:?

Ever sit and ponder why three of the best painters/tackle makers gave the same answer, but yet the sharpie posts ran on for 3 pages???

Hehehehe.....Yup....wonder stuff like that all the time.....I recently was on an airbrush forum as a new airbrusher asked about purchasing a mini compressor....virtually every good airbrusher gave their opinion on why to avoid the mini and what to buy instead....everytime the newbie would post another picture of a different model mini compressor and ask "What about this one"......We'd all say "NO"....don't waste your money.....so what did he/she do after a week of that??.....they went out and purchased the unit we advised them NOT to purchase....then three days later they are back on the forum tellin us that their new compressor isn't gonna work so they are out the money and will be purchasing something else....."Well DUH!!!!!!"......We tried to tell them, but they still didn't listen....lol....go figure.:?

Advise is only good if someone takes it......:wink:

Edited by 68KingFisher

It does depend not only on your clearcoat, and your method of your application, but also on paint type. Combine these 3 variables with the different types of signature ink, or paint,or decal, and there is the possibility for not only more than one correct answer, but several incorrect responses as well. There is also the matter of personal preference when it comes to signature pens.

:yay:

Dean

68 Kingfisher,

I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, or start another thread; but merely wish to point out that "everybody" is sometimes those who happen to be online at the time. Compressor preference is as contentious as any "preference issue" on this forum, and has been for years. My painting area is next to "our" computer, in the 2nd bedroom. I've used a large compressors outside and in shops, and I wouldn't trade my quiet, lightweight, tankless, airbrush compressor for any other, for my painting. A louder or heavier compressor would be completely impractical for me, and its value and performance are great.

Dean

68 Kingfisher,

I'm really not trying to stir the pot here, or start another thread; but merely wish to point out that "everybody" is sometimes those who happen to be online at the time. Compressor preference is as contentious as any "preference issue" on this forum, and has been for years. My painting area is next to "our" computer, in the 2nd bedroom. I've used a large compressors outside and in shops, and I wouldn't trade my quiet, lightweight, tankless, airbrush compressor for any other, for my painting. A louder or heavier compressor would be completely impractical for me, and its value and performance are great.

Dean

Hmmmmm......No pot to stir that I can tell, but I must admit Dean, that I'm missing the point in your "everybody" sentence...Care to clarify?

As for your using, and being quite happy with a mini compressor, I think thats great....I'm sure there are alot of folks that swear buy those little units....i'm just not one of them.

However, having said that I must point out that in the world of airbrushing...."Of course this is just my opinion".....that painting on lures is probably one of the least demanding applications on a compressor....especially for the hobbiest builder that may only paint a lure or two at a time on weekends.....where as most other airbrush applications shy of illustrators and model car painting, normally require higher pressures over longer periods of time...in which case a mini compressor isn't really a viable choice....therefore I have a tendency to always tell folks to purchase the biggest unit they can afford.....In most cases that is the best way to go....But there are always exceptions like yours, where your painting in the house, and noise takes a major priority over size and stamina, and I fully understand that, and would never try to convince you to use anything else.

The point I was trying to convey with my compressor story wasn't so much about not buying a mini compressor, but how comical it is when folks ask for advice and then don't take it, and then complain about the results....:wink:....I guess I shouldn't find that too surprising since my own children do the same thing...ask my opinion on something and then go do just the opposite....human nature I suppose...lol:)

Hey 68 K

The everybody I refered to was the "We" in this:....virtually every good airbrusher gave their opinion on why to avoid the mini and what to buy instead....everytime the newbie would post another picture of a different model mini compressor and ask "What about this one"......We'd all say "NO"....don't waste your money.....so what did he/she do after a week of that??.....they went out and purchased the unit we advised them NOT to purchase...

I just was pointing out that a consensus of opinion, can vary a lot depending who is online an answering the question at the time. Like a "best clearcoat" discussion, a concensus of opinion can be biased in a particular direction on any particular night, depending on who is available to answer. In a different year the advice may well have centered on which mini-compressor was the best, because performance, long-life, and price vary so widely among them, especially if most of those giving advice worked not in their garage or dedicated shop, but in their spare bedroom.

The compressor discussion you're remembering in fact did happened on TU, not very long ago. I remember it distinctly because I received a pm and replied to it, and then found the same question being asked in the forum--I can't tell you how many times THAT has happened--kind of the same attitude you're talking about in your last paragraph with a twist--"I'm asking for your advice because I value your opinion so highly, but i want to know what everyone else thinks in case I don't like your answer, or it doesn't seem to jibe with popular opinion".:lol: I understand and very much agree with your bigger picture about having to defend good advice given to someone who poses a question, believe me, especially when there is basically a single best answer based on years of study in the "School of Hard Knocks":yay:

As far as stirring the pot, I just didn't want to take the thread in an off-topic direction, or further the debate on a best signature pen, by pointing out that the best pen depends on too many variables to have only one best.

So here's to good advice (given once, ha) for good painting on good (signed!) baits for good fish!:yay:

Dean

AND FAT WOMEN! :teef:

Rookie, you're the Sweat Hog god! Slump busters forever! :worship:

KF,

Years ago, I had a client hound me for an hour to tell her whether I thought she should stain or paint the wood trim on an addition we were doing for her.

Both she and her husband were Engineers, and every decision they made was painfully thorough. Not always right, but chewed to death.

I told her the pros and cons of both ways, but she insisted I tell her what I thought was best for her house.

So, finally, I said I'd paint it if it were up to me.

She then told me I was wrong. Just like that. No reason or discussion. Flat wrong.

So I said to her, "So why in the he!! did you ask me?"

She stormed away, and we didn't speak much after that, but she didn't ask me for my opinion any more.

I've since learned to just say yes, and move on. :wink:

Some people love to ask for advice, and then ignore it. What they're generally looking for is validation of a decision they've already made.

I am often guilty of not taking published advice and I fully understand the engineer thing. Engineering can be a desease. Sometimes, I just need to find out for myself. SOMETIMES, a new idea or technique results.

I always say that it has not all been discovered yet, it needs a few bold people to challenge conformity to advance the art. Yes, most times we are wrong, but we keep pushing.

And that's engineering. My motto is, "no problems, just solutions".

Dave

Hey Dave,

Speaking of solutions, what if Hubble got it wrong?

What if the light shift we see isn't from the universe expanding, but, instead, it's the effect of light traveling through dark energy over distance.

We know that dark matter has mass, or, at least, exerts gravitational energy, so why is it so hard to think dark energy has gravitational energy as well.

Since Einstein said gravity is acceleration, what is being interpreted as acceleration of the universe outward may, in fact, be just what passing through dark energy over great distances does to light.

That would mean that the universe, which everyone now says it infinite, but started at a single point (?) is truly infinite, and always has been.

Kind of puts a different spin on things.

Just a fun thought.

The compressor discussion you're remembering in fact did happened on TU, not very long ago.

Dean

Actually, the discussion I was referring too, did not take place on TU.....but on Airbrushtech's forum about a week or two ago.....the gal asking the question really seemed to be more fasinated by the fact the mini compressor she was inquiring about and eventually purchased against our advice, was shaped like an Elephant.:D

I do understand what your saying about getting varied opinions depending on who's online and posting during a peticular timeframe, and your correct....opinions vary greatly and some get changed over time.

I for one am a research fanatic....if I have a little bit of info on a subject I can't stop surfing the net or the local library till I've found more info.....I've found that in some cases a small amount of info on a subject can be dangerous when you start passing that along on forums....before you know it bad info is being passed around as gospel, and then you end up with the blind leading the blind....So, I try my best not to allow that to happen.;).....When it comes to airbrushing info, all mine is based on many years of experience of trials and failures....none of it comes second hand.

Mark, I was tempted to google and come up with an egg head responce, but just decided to accept the humour.

KF, I have been guilty of jumping in too soon with solutions in the past. If I post an unproven idea, I say so. The last thing I want to do is waste peoples time. But I think their is room for ideas here.

Research is good, some people seem reluctant to google the wealth of knowledge out there. But I agree, the knowledge of experience cannot be beaten.

Dave

Dave,

I was being serious.

If you google it, you'll just come up with answers based on the single point big bang theory, which uses Hubble's interpretation of the red shifted light as expansion of the universe as it's basis.

Astrophysicists have come up with all kinds of creative, weird ideas to try to make what they can observe fit that interpretation, like inflation, membranes, etc.

They are straining their collective brains to figure out what happened before the big bang.

But that ignores the obvious contradiction of an infinite universe having a finite beginning.

That could be flat world thinking, and I'm asking, "What if the world is round?".

That question opens up a whole new world of possibilties.

Remember Ocum's Razor?

Fun.

Ok now that this post is officially off subject.. and all the NO FUN POLICE seem to not be on TU as much.. CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO!!! I found it today on the net.. dont worry it's clean.

Christian Comedy

Tim Hawkins.. ... Everyone needs to laugh and cry everyday. I was laughin so hard I cried.

Edited by The_Rookie