njones

Paasche Talon airbrush; Good?

Is the Paasche Talon any good? I'm saving up to get a better airbrush. I'm using a testors airbrush with compressed air-can and ready to upgrade. Would it be good to use an air-can on it? Paasche makes a fitting for the Compressed air cans. I'll also get the Paasche braided hose with the water trap on it.

I realy don't have the room for a noisy compressor in our apartment. I do all my tackle (Fly tying, Jig tying, Crank Bait, Soft plastics) making at my work bench/paint booth in the living room . . . soooo things are already tight. Plus I don't have the money for a compressor and airbrush. I fiqured I get the airbrush then later get a compressor when we got more room.

Most of the Paasche line are reliable and widely used. A .038mm tip is fairly large but I don't shoot Testor's so don't know what tip size is ideal. IMO, for $70+, I'd also look at an Iwata Revolution BR, which comes with a .3mm tip (hose extra). The Revolution CR has a paint cup more the size of the Paasche but has a .5mm tip. I'm not running down Paasche, which is probably the best selling brand of airbrush in the U.S., but think Iwata quality is a cut above, JMHO.

Is the Paasche Talon any good? Yes....any airbrush Paasche makes is a good brush....Plus they are 100% made in the USA.....Its the newest airbrush in Paasches lineup and is advertised as their "Highend" brush....I'm saving up to get a better airbrush. I'm using a testors airbrush with compressed air-can and ready to upgrade. Would it be good to use an air-can on it? I'd have to go with a big fat "NO"......canned air just can't give you the consistant pressures needed....plus they are really expensive concidering you have to replace the cans often...Paasche makes a fitting for the Compressed air cans. I'll also get the Paasche braided hose with the water trap on it.

I realy don't have the room for a noisy compressor in our apartment. I do all my tackle (Fly tying, Jig tying, Crank Bait, Soft plastics) making at my work bench/paint booth in the living room . . . soooo things are already tight. Plus I don't have the money for a compressor and airbrush. I fiqured I get the airbrush then later get a compressor when we got more room.

If noise is a big issue for you then you might look into CO2 tanks.....anything from scuba sized tanks on up to bigger tanks will run an airbrush just fine, without ANY motor noise....you'll just have to deal with lugging the heavy tank around to get refilled periodicly.....Alot of airbrushers swear by them.....otherwise your looking at some type of small compressor....most of which are fairly noisy unless your going for the little 1/8-1/10th hp units that I normally advise folks to stay away from....or if, you've got the funds to spring for a silent compressor that will sit at your feet and be so quite you'll never hardly know its there.....they are great but NOT cheap.....othewise go for a small unit with a storage tank, and build a sound restricting box around it to cut down on the noise....thats what I did for years when I painted out of our kitchen/dining room area of a single wide mobile home.;)

Edited by 68KingFisher

I have a Talon and just love it. I used a VL for years and there is no comparison between the two. The Talon is comfortable for me to use for extended sessions and very easy to clean. I am not familiar with the air can so cannot comment on using them. Whichever direction you decide to go with, good luck and post your results.

68KF is one of the most experienced airbrushers on TU so you can trust his opinion on equipment. Unless you're willing to put out BIG bucks for a quiet airbrush compressor, a CO2 tank is the best solution for an apartment. I use a small airbrush compressor and wouldn't dream of running it inside the house when my family is sleeping, watching TV, or anything else!

I use a small airbrush compressor and wouldn't dream of running it inside the house when my family is sleeping, watching TV, or anything else!

Yeah...most of those little units are loud to run in the house without some type of insulated soundproof box....some seem to be alot louder than others....We had new windows installed in our home yesterday and the installers had a neat little compressor that probably had a 1-2 gal tank on it....I thought at the time that it would make a nice compressor for an airbrush....Till it fired up.....My God that thing was four times louder than my big 6.5hp 60gal unit....you couldn't hear yourself think with that runnin....it was terribly loud....amazing....so you might try and listen to one run before you buy it if you can....there are differences in noise levels....some are tolerable....some are incredably loud....so buyer beware!

Thanks all for the help. The scuba C02 tanks, wouldn't be a good ideal being that we live on the 2nd story and lugging that thing up the stairs would kill me. lol. but what about a 20 oz CO2 tank fo paintball? or one of those 10 gallon portable air tanks?

Just to make thing clear if I use the paintball or scuba tank I want it filled with compressed air not CO2?

Thanks all for the help. The scuba C02 tanks, wouldn't be a good ideal being that we live on the 2nd story and lugging that thing up the stairs would kill me. lol. but what about a 20 oz CO2 tank fo paintball? or one of those 10 gallon portable air tanks?

Just to make thing clear if I use the paintball or scuba tank I want it filled with compressed air not CO2?

Lugging a large CO2 tank up a flight of stairs would get old real quick....on the other hand you could drop the gym membership cause you'll be gettin all your weight lifting and cardio needs taken care of in one single action.....lol

I have heard of guys using the CO2 tanks from the paintball industry, but they are pretty small so from what I hear they don't last too long....they might not weigh much but you'd be refilling them alot more....plus I hear it costs more to fill them at paintball stores then to fill a large tank at places like welding supply shops.

And to clarify.....you DO want CO2 and not just compressed air.....one reason is that CO2 is whats known as clean air.....meaning it doesn't have any moisture in it,so the use of a water trap is virtually not needed and you'll never have to worry about moisture in your system.....secondly, a CO2 tank is pressurized to something like 30,000 lbs or so, and the natural nature of CO2 doesn't let it loose pressure until the tank is all but empty, where as if you tried to use simple compressed air your first problem will be to find someone that can fill it....most air compressors won't fill a tank past 150psi or so, and that pressure would start to drop as soon as you started using out of the tank, and before long you'd be out of pressure....maybe not air, but no pressure.

I've seen guys use standard air tanks for airbrushing....you know the kind that you fill at the gas station so you can air up your flat tire at home?....alot of them are even converted propane bottles from someones outdoor grill.....Paasche used to make an adapter that would fit on the valve stem of your spare tire and use the air pressure in the tire to run your airbrush...I dunno if they still make them of not, but these all have the same issues....."you'll be low on pressure before you know it" and you'll find yourself spending more time refilling them then its worth.

As an example, a fully charged 100lb CO2 tank will run an airbrush all weekend depending.....Now i'm talking about an airbrusher thats working a carshow or fair event and he's airbrushin tee shirts at 45-60psi for 10-12 hours a day or more.....FYI...a 100lb cylinder is the larger ones....like 5ft tall....same size as the tanks you see filled with helium used for b-day balloons and such......that same cylinder would probably run for weeks or even months when just used to paint a few lures on weekends.

A 100lb cylinder is most likely too big for the average person to tote around which is why most are wheeled around on two wheeled dollies....but a couple of scuba sized tanks would be much easier to move around, even though tottin them up a flight of stairs might not be the greatest unless your lookin for a good workout in the process.:lol:

Edited by 68KingFisher

So I could use paintball tanks, I got a few laying around. But what reg would I need? Does any one make one for airbrushing?

Since I can't answer this question from experience, I'll defer you to a couple of threads I found posted on an airbrush site I frequent.....After reading these I felt you should too....hope this helps

paintball co2 adapter?

Co2

I had used Iwata Eclipse's for several years (siphon feed). I didn't get much more than 1 year out of these brushes and got tired of the brush not performing. I did all the recommended cleaning, water between colors etc. and they just would not perform like they should, so I have gone to strictly gravity feed brushes and I will never go back. I have 2 PS900 airbrushes and the Talon. I strictly use the Talon and I love it. I am sure the Iwata gravity feed brushes are excellent as well, I just personally didn't want to invest the $$$ with my prior experience with the siphon feed models.

Good luck,

Greg

Weeelll I think I decided that I'm just gonna try and get a compressor and build a sound proof box. First I got to get a better brush first. Is there any "good" cheap compressors out there.

i got a Husky Airscout from Home Depot a little while ago for $99 (regular price). so far it hasn't let me down, its got a 1.5 gallon tank (i wish this was a little bigger, but for 100 bucks what can you ask for) and its got MORE than enough power to run an airbrush. i'm using an Iwata Revolution BR by the way.

its not terribly loud, i run it in the garage and its not hard on the ears or anything. since its only got a 1.5 gallon tank, the motor runs a little bit more frequently, but airbrushes don't use much air and i've found the motor only runs 1-2 times while painting a single lure (this includes spraying lots of water between colors) the storage tank pressure is 135psi and the motor kicks in when it drops to 100psi. i haven't timed it but i'd estimate this is about 10-15 min of airbrushing depending on what pressure you run through your airbrush.

Edited by DSV

I just bought setup from harbour frieght it came with a syphon feed airbrush and a super quiet compressor with a regulator and water trap for seventy bucks I haven't got a chance to use the brush yet but the compressor is really quiet the only draw back is you it cuts out at about 40 psi

and it would be nice to air up a tire if you needed to