uwfishmd

Silicone Caulk for plastic bait molds

Husky has done a lot of work with this silicone, read this thread: http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/soft-plastics/17408-diy-aninstant-1-2-rd-rtv-silicone-mold-under-buck.html

I see no reason why a 2 piece mold could not be successful. You may have to back the mold halves with some wood, as the stuff is a bit floppy.

Do a few tests to find an effective release agent. Try vaseline, silicone spray, etc. But a soft wax would be my "go to" release agent.

As stated in Husky'e thread, the addition of a few drops of water, is the big secret, without which, your mold will never cure in a reasonable time.

Dave

I actually read that adding acrylic paint would help the silicone to cure faster but water will suffice. I also would like to know how the soft plastic baits turn out. I would really like mine to come out with a shiny surface. This is why I am curious about the silicone caulk.

Edited by uwfishmd

I should also mention that the reason I want to use the silicone for molding is because I have to make a 2 part mold for a bait with a lot of fine details. I tried the POP but I can't get a good clear coat on my mold and when I pour the plastic in it its sticking in the finer detail parts of the mold. If I apply more coats of clear it would only fill in the details of the bait that make it the great bait that it is. Having someone make a aluminum mold for me is way 2 expensive. Just looking for an cheaper alternative method to create my bait.

A lot of talk about shrinkage. But it shrinks from the outside.

careful about how much catalyst, too much makes too much heat and causes warping or even crack failure.

Consider a filler/resin combination.

Also, do a search on "rebar", reinforcing the mold with nails, as an example, will reduce the tendancy of the mold to warp when pouring the plastic. I use it for pouring lead, works fine for me. Clamp the two mold halves tight to be sure.

Dave

Thats what allot of people do they put too much catalyst in trying to speed the process up, I use little less then what is recomended and wait it out less heat I've even put so little in that it took 24 hours to set but it is as good as any other mold in my collection. Good luck what ever way you choose.

I experimented with the while kitchen and bath silicone caulk. I didn't mix in too much water so its still not totally dry but my bait pulled out of it fine the very next day. My suggestion so far is to lay your bait in and not move it because the caulk will stick at first. Then let it dry a good long time if you don't add a lot of water. Here is a photo.

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

Mold 2.jpg

4667_thumb.attach

Has anyone ever used silicone caulk to make a 2part mold for a soft plastic bait? I'm wondering if the bait will release from the silicone without any problems?

Yes, I made several using this method:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/soft-plastics/17408-diy-aninstant-1-2-rd-rtv-silicone-mold-under-buck.html

There is a running conversation, I posted my progress, I was not too happy with it but it works. I got too much flashing in the joints which just may be the complexity of the cavity and not the process itself. It releases fine.

These are large enough and there is enough give that after pouring I can "pump" them squeezing the mold as the rtv gives a bit to help push the plastisol down into a thin tail part of the creature.

DAP silicone caulk.

DAP 100% silicone sealant works, the 50 yr. stuff, I do not think the caulk is a pure rtv

images of the stuff I use besides wal-mart mainstay

http://www.dap.com/images/products/hires/25_p_SILICONEW&D10WHT.jpg

http://www.dap.com/images/products/hires/25_p_SILICONEW&D10CLR.jpg

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

Thats what I used. Its been two days now and it hasn't set up. I must not have used enough water.

I agree. I put the stuff I use in a plastic baggie, put a good deal of water in it and then shake out the water. The remaining moisture is enough. I squeeze the air out then close the bag, knead it till it is mixes good then I snip a corner off the bag and use it like a baker's cake decorating bag and squeeze it out.