smallheadz

DIY tube cutter-non rotary

Ok guys. I have cut baits for a long time so I am posting a DIY tube cutter for you guys. This is a non rotary type that will cut perfect everytime and takes about 1-2 sec per tube. Total cost is aroud $80 if you have some of the tools required. If not the cost will be a tad more.

Step 1 Buy an arbor press at harbor freight or use one you already have. The press will no longer be able to be used as an arbor press! Here is a link to the press.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Step 2 Buy the tube splitter from Lurecraft-or make your own. Here is a link to the splitter.

Deluxe Plastic Splitter - LureCraft

Step3 mount the tube splitter to the press. All I did was use angle iron, cut 2 small pcs and weld them to the press. (Drill a hole in them first-see pic) . The press is cast but you can still get weld to stick to it or use cast rod.

Step4 Drill and tap the alum on the tube cutter, align the holes that you drilled in the angle iron, This is just to hold the stuff in place when removing the tube.

Step5 Take a flat piece of steel 1/8 to 3/16 thick and make a rectangle the same size as your cutter blades. (Looking down on the blades). This is what will press against the blades. Align this piece and the tube cutter block on the base. Now weld this flat rectangle to the square part of the arbor press. (See pic)

Step 6 Last but not least. This is the smallest but most important part!!! Get a piece of 1/8 rubber and cut it to the same rectangle size that you cut the flat piece of steel. This will be placed onto the flat piece of steel using double sided tape or velcro. I use 3m velcro. This rubber piece will wear out but it takes a while. Your blades will last longer than the rubber.

This press will cut tubes perfect everytime unless they are wider than the blades. I can cut 500/hr easy!!

See the pics attached.. I never got along with a rotary cutter since I tried to cut off fingers but there are many people that use them and have great looking tubes but I have found this to be the easiest and fastest process for me.

You can cut the tubes instantly or wait, this cutter doesn't care. When not in use the best way to keep the blades healthy is to soak them in transmission fluid. You do not have to lube the blades when cutting but they will rust if you don't soak them when finished. I leave my blades in a quart that I cut the top out of. Notice I forgot to put them in that is why these blades rusted.

Enjoy

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

blades.jpg

bladesinstalled.jpg

bladetap.jpg

finishtube.jpg

holder.jpg

press.jpg

topplate.jpg

tubecut.jpg

4671_thumb.attach

4672_thumb.attach

4673_thumb.attach

4674_thumb.attach

4675_thumb.attach

4676_thumb.attach

4677_thumb.attach

4678_thumb.attach

Edited by smallheadz

Great idea.I like the way you came up with the process.What are the spacers between the blades?Do you drop your tubes into water to cool them?I never considered rust to be a problem,but I have heard of blades rusting but never encountered it.My blades are all coated with worm oil,or scent.The tubes are coated.Do you have to hold the tube in place till the pressure is applied from above,all thru the process?My tubes are somwhat slimmey.

Looks like I will try this system.I love trying to make lure making stuff.Addicted!!!!:)

There is no reason you can't drill and tap the press. It was just easier to weld it.Bojon, I do hold the head of the bait the whole process. You are pulling it out as soon as you smash it, it is a very fast process. I do not cool my tubes in water. I dip about 125 a time and there are4-6 per holder so they are somewhat cool we I get back around to them. I vertical dip.

Edited by smallheadz

I have always cut with my blades stationary on the bottom. Found it much easier to pull up and out. I learned this by trial and error. This is just a small manual version of my big splitters ,believe it or not I can almost cut as fast on this one but I get alot more tired. If you have all your supplies ready you can build this thing is less than an hour.