stratos201

Need help on finding materials for finishing crankbaits

I have been trying to get a good hard finish on my crankbaits. Im new at this and have only completed one lure. Im not happy with the finish using the CS waterbase epoxy and I have tried using the CS clear vinyl paint. All of them are taking for ever to dry and reach a hard finish. Is there something out there other then a 5 minute epoxy that is used for the coatings? I have the CS plastic-pruf 2 part expoxy on order hoping that it will give me the finish Im looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Epoxy is popular - it's reliable, levels out well and makes a hard durable finish if you choose the right one. You do not want to use a quick cure 5 minute epoxy! Use a slow cure epoxy like Devcon Two Ton or Envirotex Lite (aka Etex). The Devcon is a "30 minute epoxy" that has a 4-5 minute "brush time". "30 minutes" is how long it takes to form a bond when used as a glue (which it is). ETEX is a table top epoxy finish with a long brush and cure time. There are also quick cure "5 minute" epoxies, including Devcon 5 Minute. They cure much too fast to brush on, will not level out, will eventually turn brown, and will generally ruin any lure if you try to topcoat with it. I'm not familiar with the epoxy you have on order.

Several TUers have, like you, tried water based coatings with uniformly poor results.

Edited by BobP

Thanks for the information. Where can I purchase theses items. I have looked for devcon 2ton epoxy and cant find it. Since Im using foil on my lures..... I usually super glue the foil to the body then in the past have put a coat of clear on it..... using the CS waterbase epoxy. Then I airbrush the lure then give it a final coat of clear.... CS epoxy waterbase. What do you recommend for a top coat over the paint. Im using CS vinyl paints.... are these the worng paints to be using?

You can buy Devcon Two Ton epoxy at Ace Hardware stores or order it from Wood Carving Tools - Texas - The Old Texas Woodcarvers Shop, Tools, Books, Classes among other sources. It comes in either a 30ml double syringe or in a 9 oz bottle set.

Like most epoxies, Devcon hardens over just about anything because its cure process is a chemical reaction between its hardener and resin after they are mixed. It doesn't depend on outgassing a solvent and it will even cure under water. Also notable is that epoxy is pretty inert after it cures and can be paired with just about any other coating, solvent based or otherwise. You could still use the CS water based to cover your foil, or you could use Devcon over the foil and for topcoating. Vinyl paints don't play well with other solvent coatings but should do OK with epoxy if fully dry. That said, 90% of hobby builders use water based acrylic latex airbrush paint for its non-toxic quality, easy clean up and low cost. There is extensive info here on TU regarding epoxies. Just type the subject into the search box on the right side of the screen.

Edited by BobP

Personally, I prefer Devcon 2 Ton because it cures faster and is thick enough to use a single application for a topcoat on bass baits. You can brush it on an rotate it by hand if necessary for 45 minutes to stop sags/drips and it will work fine. Etex is thinner and contains a solvent. It has a longer brush time but also cures much slower, requires a motorized lure turner, and usually requires at least 2 coats, more for saltwater/musky baits. There are adherents of both brands, as well as others like Nu Lustre 55, Flexcoat, and others. Do some homework with the Search function to get best practices on application.

I used Brite-bak adhesive foil and unscrewed the knurled adjuster knob from a pair of Vise Grips to pattern the scales. You can try any knurled knob around the house or find something in a tool section of a home center. Any round thingy that has a crosshatch pattern is a candidate. You can also use the threads of a bolt, rolled in crossing directions, but it's much harder to do a neat job with one.