RayburnGuy

paint question

I was doing a repaint tonight and was having problems with tiny holes in the paint. It looked as if you took a needle and *****ed tiny holes in the paint. Quite a few of them in a couple different places. After trying to cover them up with more paint I finally realized the tiny holes were only getting deeper. I tried letting the paint dry and sanding them out with some fine grit sand paper. The holes went all the way to the original finish, so I stripped off everything I had sprayed and sanded the lure down again with 220 grit and then with 400 grit, paying special attention to the areas I was having the problem with. After sanding the second time I again cleaned the bait with denatured alcohol and then tried priming the bait again. Had the same problem all over again. This is the first time I've had this problem. Anyone have any idea what was going wrong?

thanks,

RayburnGuy

Hey KingFisher. Haven't seen you around for a couple days. Doin' OK?

One problem with posting a picture of it. I finally got aggravated and just kept painting over it and it's still wet at the moment. Will try to post a pic when it dries. As for the paint, I'm using Createx. Same paint I've been using on everything else and so far this is the first time this has happened.

Here's a picture of the problem. There were more on the other side that were much smaller than the biggest one shown here. It looked like you took the tip of a needle and stuck it in the painted surface. Even after removing the paint a second time and making sure I sanded the surface smooth the holes came back again.

Gee Ray that's a nice looking lure, great colours -

Looks like you have some contamination - dirty fingers, been spraying some Teflon oil in your locks, deep fryin Bass fillets, whatever its probably oil based, if you sweat a lot it could be yours - wear some latex gloves and try not to touch the surface after you have started painting, I used to have the same problem so bought a dozen 'Haemostat's" to hold them and keep my sweaty palms away from them, no more problems. K/F might have a more precise reason for this-pete

Edited by hazmail

Deep fryin' Bass fillets???? :eek: Why I've never heard such. What are you? Some kind of animal? You shouldn't even joke about such things as taking the life of one of those beautiful creatures. Much less sticking a fillet knife into one of them. I'm glad Ray Scott isn't dead or he'd be turning over in his grave. :cry:

I think probably Pete nailed it....contamination most likely...i've seen it a zillion times....its like those spots repel paint no matter how much you spray on it...the paint will just continue to build around that area and leave little craters.....thats usually a sign of contamination of some kind.....since your using water based paints you have to remember anything oil based will act as a repellant so to speak...the old oil and water don't mix problem.

Always make sure your hands are clean and freshly washed when handling freshly painted baits, or as Pete said wear gloves or use hemostats or some other way of holding the bait so thats not an issue.....Personally I can't do squat with gloves on....I just hate'm so i'm always washing my hands or wiping them with a rag thats got wax and grease remover on it to remove the oils from my hands....but i'll wipe down my projects with a mild wax and grease remover alot too....I use one from 5 Star automotive products....about $15 gal.

Make sure not to use products like WD-40 near your painting area....in fact I won't let a can of that stuff near my paintroom....you'll have more fisheye's then you can shake sack full of carp at, just by using it in the same room you paint in.....anything with oils or silicones in them can create havok with paint and clearcoats.

I'm gonna take this time to touch on a subject.....Alcohol.....I see alot of folks in the forum using it as a pre-cleaner and the truth is its not that great for that....The average bottle of alcohol obtained from your local store leaves a film....don't believe me....put some on a paper towel and wipe it on a mirror....see that film it leaves....you can get it off if you try real hard, but imagine what you might leave on your baits by just givin them a quick wipedown......Could that be a problem...dunno,maybe.

I'm not gonna try and convice everyone to stop using alcohol...if you've been using it for 20yrs without problems then by all means continue....but if your having weird paint issues it might be an area to look at.....personally I never used it when I painted bikes and helmets with Createx, instead I used Mineral Spirits, but I was clearcoating with automotive urethane clears so I have no idea how that might effect you guys that use epoxy and stuff like DN...you'd just have to try and see....Mineral spirits didn't wipe off Createx like water might, and its not as harsh as alot of other cleaners...even alcohol....it dries a tad slow and sometimes thats a good thing....I even used it instead of water to wetsand Createx with....worked great....Just make sure to buy the odorless kind otherwise its got a stout smell the misses might not care for if your using it in the house.

PS....Make sure none of those pits are in the lure body itself?

Rayburnguy.....See my post in the "Docks" about my daughter being assaulted this week and you'll know why I haven't been around....been a rough few days around the house, but things are starting to settle down a bit....thanks for asking.

Edited by 68KingFisher

Not sure about the first time, but I'm almost positive I didn't even touch the bait the second time. After sanding it the second time I taped off the bill again. Then, while holding the taped bill in one hand, I cleaned it again with the denatured alcohol. The I took clamping pliers and grabbed it by the rear hook hanger and clamped the bill in a vice.Pretty sure I never touched it with anything before I started painting. The denatured alcohol I'm using hasn't been a problem before. Don't know about sealing the bait. Do you have to seal a plastic lure body before painting? Thanks guys.

You shouldn't have to seal a plastic bait.

Try wiping it down with acetone, instead of alcohol, before you prime and paint.

Your really don't even need to prime, unless you want good coverage for a solid paint finish.

I do a lot of ghost finishes on jerkbaits, which are almost completely transparent, and don't prime before I use Wildlive Colors irridescent violet and green. I don't have problems with that.

For solid paint, like a pearl white, I sometimes prime with rattle can white primer, which is cheap, and gives me a quicker build up of the pearl white airbrush paint.

But you can shoot on the Createx without a primer. It just takes a little more paint/mre coats to get good coverage.

Edited by mark poulson

Acetone or lacquer thinner - they soften and cloud plastic so if you wipe down a bait with them, don't get it on the lip. Denatured alcohol will not cloud plastic lips; nor will naphtha. The prep you do before painting is to get a clean, dust free surface. Player's choice how you do that. Is the surface dusty from sanding? Have you been handling the bait and eating a bag of Fritos? What is the surface?: smooth plastic or sanded finish remaining on a repaint? On repaints, I wash the sanded bait with dish soap, then shoot my white acrylic color basecoat. I like to keep it simple. Layering solvent and water based coatings is a crap shoot. You never know until you try it what will adhere and what will react badly.

Thanks Bob. I think I'll try washing the sanded surface in water and dish soap. My thinking behind the denatured alcohol was that it would evaporate and leave a clean, dry surface. I also hit the bait with hot air to try and make sure the alcohol was evaporated. I'm really careful about keeping my hands clean and after the final sanding and cleaning I don't even touch the surfaces that are to be painted. I put the bait in a vice and do any turning or positioning while painting by handling the vice. It just seemed odd to me that after sanding and cleaning a second time that the paint would get the same size holes in the exact same places. Thanks again.

If the other suggestions (which are excellent!) don't solve the problem, try thinning the paint just a touch and spray a very light coat. Heat set it and do it again and again until you get your desired color. Water based paints will sometimes make the pin holes if the paint is applied to heavy and thick.