DanCampbell

Help with dipping

Hello,

I'm dipping red cedar lures in flat white enamel (Base coat)and hanging them to dry. The problem is I get a thick ring of paint at the bottom of the lure. I am using a paint thinner and I'm not sure if I got it too thin or need to thin it further.

I have also put them on a turner and get thick runs in an otherwise smooth coat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

@ DanCampbell

Personally I never dipped any lures into anything , but a Finnish friend dips his lures into thinned concrete lacquer several times for a rock hard topcoat .

I had once asked him about the required consistency of that thinned stuff , ......he replied , that it should be like pee ;):lol:.

As far , as I'm concerned , the paint dip has to be thin enough to allow all drops to come down off the blank , before the paint starts to set on the lure .

On the other hand like this you might not achieve sufficient coverage with the first dipping and need to repeat one or two times(for a primer coat) .

Just my :twocents:!

Check the thread "looks that simple the Finnish way"(utilize search function to right) , there are two video links in there , ......I guess , that it is the second part , where a sequence is shown , where lure blanks are dipped in primer .

The guy there is speaking Finnish , but maybe by the looks you could figure out about the consistency to compare to your own primer dip ?

good luck , diemai:yay:

I use pacience to avoid such a problem, when working with propionate solution. Thinner (the primer) is better for quicker dripping.

To avoid such a problem, keep the lure hanging down from your pliers, and when the paint does not want to drip anymore, and the ring of paint stays there, still wet, gently wipe off the excess on the lower end with some paper towel, paper napkin, or similar. Or just touch the end on the paper. BTW, I use toilet paper:)

For multiple dippings, reverse each time the lure by 180 degrees.

never had a single issue as described above. need to thin, test, etc

I've had the wrinkling problem when I've let a rattle can paint coat sit longer than the recommended recoat time, but not long enough to fully cure.

If you recoat during the recoat window, the two coats meld into each other, like spraying the old nitrocellulose lacquer.

I've also had wrinkling when I've redipped urethane too soon. You really need to let it set for the recommended time before you redip, or the first coat will sag under the second.