RiverMan

Lexan lip slot for round baits

Can someone tell me how they make sure the lip slot is straight on baits that are lathed? Thought about cutting the slot before lathing but thought this would make things a bit tricky. I built a small jig that holds a finished bait for the correct angle but wondered if someone had come up with a better way.

Thx.

Jed

:lol: Hi Jed, I do this all the time when I turn lures on the lathe. I cut the lip slot in before turning the bait. I take a piece of 1 1/2" square stock about 2" long and drill a hole the size of the dowel or round stock I am turning. I tilt the blade on my tablesaw at about 20 degrees and adjust the depth of the cut to where I want it and also move the rip fence until I get it where I want it. It might take a few tries the first time but once you get what you want you can use this over and over. When I put the piece in the lathe I don't turn the end with the lip slot. I use emery cloth or a piece of a sanding belt to shape that part of the bait the way I want it. It works out pretty well. Hope this helps. Any questions just fire away or email me. Thanks Ken schmitz Mylures

I gotcha, sounds like you are using a table saw. I will modify this process to fit my bandsaw, sounds like a good deal, thanks.

Have you had problems getting the lathed baits to dive and swim correctly? I have only made one to experiment with and the tow-point is turning out to be hyper critical.

Jed