Fish Like a Native

stand to paint crankbaits

I'm not sure what type of stand you might be looking for....i've seen guys use a "fly tying" vise.....but most seem to use hemostats or Xacto knife handles to hold the lure....I've been using both and I use a block of dense foam too stick the handles into when i'm not holding them during painting.

Sometimes a picture is easier to understand.;)

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

Lure-painting.jpg

4688_thumb.attach

Edited by 68KingFisher

@ Fish Like a Native

At first ......welcome at TU:yeah: !

I utilize smaller spring-loaded metal clamps to hold the lures by their wire eyes and/or by the the(masked) diving lip , one could also change grip with these clamps , if having multiple clamps at hand .

By fixing one or two clamps to the handles of the holding clamp it is also possible to create a stand this way , only need to keep it balanced not to fall .

good luck:yay: , diemai

Well if your doing a bunch at one time and there all the same color this is a good method. Excuse tyhe mess in the pic. Some times I get soo busy and dont get a chance to straighten things up much. These racks are cheap to build and are easy to use. Mine are 36" wide which fits inside the paint booth and they hold several dozen baits. They dont work very well when trying to do several different colors. Hope this helps spark your imagination. Good luck! MAV

I use Hemostats. I have a 2x4 that I cut partially through with a miter saw. The slot needs to be just slightly wider than the 1/8" of the blade so a second cut is needed. I hold the lure with the hemostats and jam the handles in the slots in the 2x4. The best thing is that if you make the slot the right width it'll you can turn the block of wood and tilt the hemostats at any angle you want without having to touch the lure.

DSC00942.jpg

Edited by clamboni
added picture

I drilled holes in each side of my paint booth and slid a dowel rod through it. Slid large O rings with brass swivels on them over the dowel rod. Use paper clips to hang tghe bait from the swivels and another unfolded clip to hold with the opposite eyes and you can paint and dry.

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

booth.jpg

4727_thumb.attach

Harbor Freight sells a thing thats called 'helping hand'.It has a magnifing glass and a couple arms with alligator clamps on it. All of the components are adjustable.The clamps are strong enough to hold a crankbait by the end without falling ,it's adjustable to any position,and it's compact.Oh ya,it's cheap-I think I got one on sale for $5.I take the magnifing glass off when I paint.

Harbor Freight sells a thing thats called 'helping hand'.It has a magnifing glass and a couple arms with alligator clamps on it. All of the components are adjustable.The clamps are strong enough to hold a crankbait by the end without falling ,it's adjustable to any position,and it's compact.Oh ya,it's cheap-I think I got one on sale for $5.I take the magnifing glass off when I paint.

they are only 3$ at the harbor frieght near my house!