RayburnGuy

Dick Nites and Bloxygen

I know that several of the folks on this site spray Bloxygen into their container of Dick Nites lure coat to preserve it. Here are direct quotes from both of their web pages.

"Fishermun's Lure-Coat is a durable, Fast Drying, Lacquer Based Fishing Tackle Paint that can be sprayed, dipped or brushed."

"Bloxygen Will NOT Work With:

Water-based Finishes or Lacquer - These products do not cure via oxygen absorption."

Can anyone enlighten me?

Hmm - You're right! It does say "lacquer". I thought DN is a moisture cured polyurethane and was so described the last time I bought some a year ago. Has the formulation changed? I dunno. Regarding Bloxygen, I can only say that I use it every time I screw the lid on my DN dipping jar and it has not begun to cure since I started using it a year ago. Before Bloxygen, it would skin over within 4 months no matter what precautions I took. So unless Dick Nite switched to a clearcoat with a different chemistry, Bloxygen would work.

But that doesn't anwer your question directly; maybe a query to Dick Nite is in order. ps - I just sent an email to Dick Nite asking for clarification and will report back unless Dick is kind enough to post directly to the forum.

Edited by BobP

OK. Here's the latest. I emailed Dick Nite and asked him about this. He told me that it was indeed a moisture cure polyurethane. I'm not sure why it is described as a lacquer on his website. You were right BobP. I was ready to order the Bloxygen and saw the warning at the bottom of the page about it not working on lacquers. I had also read the quote from Dick's website. That's what had me confused. I'm going to reply to Dick and tell him about the error on his site. Thanks BobP.

Dick sent me an email that the DN Topcoat is the moisture cured poly that many of us have been using. I guess the Topcoat doesn't show up on the Lurecoat product page because it isn't lacquer like the Lurecoat. You can still order it with a TU discount. Just click on the DN banner ad and it will take you to a special page on his site with ordering information.

Hello folks!

Thank you to those of you who emailed me and let me know that this question had come up - I have been running around like a head with my chicken cut off for the past 3 weeks with the biggest Pink Salmon season since 1947 coming up our rivers - and my Dick Nite Spoons are the "Go-To" lure for these fish...

Anyway, Yes, Fishermun's Lure-Coats ARE Lacquer based. Fishermun's Lure-Coat Clear Top Coat is a Moisture-Cure Polyurethane.

People get confused when they hear about "Lure-Coat" when the person speaking is actually talking about "Fishermun's Lure-Coat Clear Top-Coat"...

The Company that produces it is Dick Nite Spoons, Inc., The whole paint line is called Fishermun's Lure-Coat, The Top Coat is Fishermun's Lure-Coat Clear Top-Coat.

So when we refer to Fishermun's Lure-Coat on the website, we are speaking of the product line in general. The Moisture Cure reference on the website is in the product description for the Top-Coat.

Sorry for any confusion!

Thanks again for the emails telling me about this thread!

As always, if there are any questions, please feel free to email me - as a matter of fact, I have set up a new email address for TackleUndergrounders to use to get in touch with me - it is TUMEMBER@dicknite.com - that way I will be able to filter those emails directly to my computer and they won't get lost in the maze of 1,500 emails a day that come in here!

Fish On!

Dick