mainbutter

expanded PVC board?

I've heard some people use some kind of PVC board as a material for carving lures, and I just had a couple of questions

1) is it waterproof? This would make prototyping go faster for me if I don't need to worry as much about water getting into the lure material

2) where can I find it? I asked at home depot and they had no idea what in the world I was talking about, even though I know it's not exactly uncommon in construction..

3) what thickness should I be trying to find?

thanks a ton :D

I definately like the pvc board. Whoever came up with that idea is just brilliant! It seems to be more durable, doesn't chip, and is more consistant to sand then wood. Plus, you don't have to worry about wood densities being different within the lure (which really ticks u off after several hours of forming, painting, and clearing before you can even test it!) So yeah, I love the stuff.

The only bad thing is... I miss the smell of cut cedar and oak. :cry:

the most popular brand name of this product is called AZEK. Due to popular demand, they started making one side smooth and the other side textured (like ruff lumber). This is due to homebuilder demand for a ruff texture on trim boards (this product was invented for exterior usage on home building to make wood rot extinct) Be forwarned it comes in 18' lengths only, and most places will not cut it, and it is EXPENSIVE!!!

Try a local lumber yard instead of the Big Box stores, they should have it, and may be more inclined to cut a piece for you. We sell it where I work, and we don't cut it very often, but do make an exception now and then

Scott

don't expect the people at the box stores to know what you are talking about, look for yourself in the millwork section at Lowes, Home Depot.

i started using it 2 years ago after using some of the brick molding around some windows i installed. i noticed that it cut easily and took home some scraps and discovered it floats. Lowes sells 1"x6"x8' boards here for about $25. i don't think it is AZEK brand but is the same stuff. they just call it PVC molding ( cellular vinyl pvc ).

one thing you have to do is trim off the hard outer skin as it is hard to carve but it is approx. 1/32" and the board is then easily carved and cut.

it's waterproof and will hold eyescrews very well with a little epoxy.

pvc glue does not work well on it ( tried it ), i use 5 min epoxy.

Finally found some of this decking (called 'Modwood' in Australia), seems it is affected by the heat and is not so good out here, but I will be sourcing some at the weekend to save them from ruin, and give them a new outlet for their product------------- 'Swim Baits' Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!Ha! Ha!.pete

Here's a link to a woodworking forum (the best around) for you guys, there is some good advice in here and some good coatings too:

pvc decking - Woodwork Forums

I just wanted to say thanks guys found myself some to try working with :) got it from lowes, couldn't find anything bigger than 2''x1'' (8 foot long though, decent price for a lot of material) though after hitting up lowes, home depot, and menards. If I wanted to make some truly big swimbaits I'd want something bigger, but this will work for up to medium sized musky swimbaits I hope :)

This pvc trim board is not the same as composite decking,is it?.I thought he was refering to the trim like youput around windows and doors.It is made from all pvc and I think the decking is combo of ood and pvc.Am I correct on this.I haven't tried any yet but am anxious to.I read alot about you guys making swimbaits out of it,but does anyone make crankbaits fromit and how well do they work compared to wood...Rob

This pvc trim board is not the same as composite decking,is it?.I thought he was refering to the trim like youput around windows and doors.It is made from all pvc and I think the decking is combo of ood and pvc.Am I correct on this.I haven't tried any yet but am anxious to.I read alot about you guys making swimbaits out of it,but does anyone make crankbaits fromit and how well do they work compared to wood...Rob

I think that was the problem with the TREX decking boards...they were made from wood and pvc so it didn't float worth a hoot.....cool stuff...easy to work with, but sinks like a rock once you add hooks and eyes.

Rob from the expanded PVC I have used in the 'white sign board' area, even this varies in density / buoyancy and for some applications (just floating and neutral lures) this becomes a problem as the amount of lead needed to overcome the buoyancy gets ridiculous which also has an effect on the finished lures action.

So IMO it has good and bad points, but the real pro is its durability and ease of working, although a con is, I struggle to find something easy and waterproof for an initial sealer.pete