Army Doc

Createx Vs. Other water based paints

What would be the pro's vs. con's in "upgrading" from Createx to Auto Air Colors? I now own 3 different guns, one is a Paasche V1 that I use for basecoating and basic full solid colors, the second is a Master G33 with .3, .5, and .8 needles that I just kinda use for the in between stuff like broad lines or making back stripes, or getting the belly oranged up. The 3rd one is a Air Pro tools PS 900 that I use for detail work. I originally was gonna use Kustom Colors or HOK, but I just don't wanna drop that much money into getting into it. Plus, I live on an Army base, so I can't exactly build a proper ventilation system. So, I guess the point is that I think I could get better results with better paint, so what else should I be looking for besides Createx?

Besides Createx, check out taxidermy.com and http://www.taxidermy.net/suppliers/index.php for Smith Wildlife Colors, Polytranspar, and Van Dyke Nature's Gallery acrylic latex paints. I choose colors from these brands and haven't had any trouble mixing them on baits. The Polytranspar Superhide White is a great color basecoat. I can't speak to Auto Air, HOK, Kustom Colors, etc because I don't use them. I gather they are designed for autos, cycles, helmets, etc and their formulation (and price) is different from standard airbrush acrylics. I've been very satisfied using standard airbrush paint on crankbaits. When you topcoat them with a durable clear, they last at least as well as factory finishes.

Edited by BobP

I know that they are the same "family" of paints, but what I was looking for more specifically is what the differences are. They are both water based, both from the same company, but why is the Auto Air Colors paint "better" than the createx? I know it's more expensive, but what is the reason for it. Is the paint better because the pigment is different, is it finer, what makes it spray better than createx? What are the advantages of Auto Air over Createx? Is it worth the extra money? I know it's not gonna make my skill at painting go up, but will it lessen the likelyhood of mistakes due to the paint (and not my own hand)

If your looking for something that compares to Createx or AutoAir, you might want to take a look at Etac airbrush paints......From what i've seen on the airbrush forums alot of the guys swear by this stuff and will never use Createx or AA again.....Personally, I have not tried their product, but should I need to purchase any waterbased paints they will be who I place my order with just based on recommendations by some of the top airbrushers around the country....check out more about their paints at ETAC - Revolution in paint... Home Read the tech sheets on the right side of the product page about their "private stock and EFX-500 line"....they mention several different plastics, lexans and polycabonates that their paints will work with. Might be a good alternative paint source for you guys that are the waterbased users.

I use both createx and auto air have had no problems at all.auto air has uv brightner's and has a slightly bigger rang of colors.A good clear coat over the createx and it will never fade while using it as a fishing lure.Any paint will fade after so much sun exposer.I paint full time at a body shop and sherwin williams and dupont automotive paint and if left in the direct sunlight will fade over due time.But both paints work great for airbrushing lures.