Big Pancho

Need some advice on materials

Hello gang I have a question. What type of materials are required to make a top water hard bait. I got the soft plastic thing down pretty good. But I am trying to build my very first Hard bait.. This is the new mouse bait I am trying to make. Any input from you pro's would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frank aka Big Pancho

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

IMGP0222.jpg

4694_thumb.attach

That bait'll never work! With those ears, the mouse will hear the bass coming, and leave. :lol:

Seriously, that's a great looking lure. You have carving skills, for sure. :worship:

If I were you, I'd look into AZEK PVC decking, which is strong, hard, and buoyant.

It is an even grained, wood fiber and PVC mix, and carves really well.

Just don't put too much pressure on it with a power sander, or it will start to melt.

Then get some sst .072 screw eyes for the line tie and hook hanger, and you're set.

If you google AZEK, you'll find a local distributer. Same with sst screw eyes.

I get my AZEK through my local lumber yard, who can get it from one of their suppliers.

I don't think you could hang a hook on the tail of your mouse, because the material is too thin, but there looks to be plenty of meat in the front for that.

Edited by mark poulson

Thank you Mark for the information on the decking material.Going to have to give that a try. What I am looking for some type of liquid Resin. I think I found out what I need on the Alumilite web site. They got some type of super plastic with hardener. I was kinda hoping some of the pro's on this site would chime in a help me out. There are some incredible lure on this site. This is my first attempt in making a hard lure and want to get as much information I can to get all the right materials. Thanks again Mark.

Frank

Pancho,

It wasn't clear to me from your first post that you were thinking about pouring baits.

Use the search feature on this site to find info on making a mold, what to use, and how to do it all.

I've never poured anything but lead, so I'm clueless about plastics and resins. Unless you count how many yards of concrete I've poured. :lol:

Thank you Mark for the information on the decking material.Going to have to give that a try. What I am looking for some type of liquid Resin. I think I found out what I need on the Alumilite web site. They got some type of super plastic with hardener. I was kinda hoping some of the pro's on this site would chime in a help me out. There are some incredible lure on this site. This is my first attempt in making a hard lure and want to get as much information I can to get all the right materials. Thanks again Mark.

Frank

For Resin, try Dascar (RP-40) on Ebay. $69 for appx 2 gals. (14 lbs)

US Composites for 3M Micro spheres. Buy the large size as it will come in at only$10 over the small size due to shipping costs.

Mike P