BrettAC23

Airbrush problem

I agree, bubbles in the cup indicate a clog. I put some acetone in my Iwata HP and shoot it while gently moving the needle back and forth, and that disolves the clog or pushes it out through the airbrush nozzle so I can keep painting. I haven't had a particular problem with WASCO paint like Gunnie, however. Clogs are usually a skin of partially dried paint that you squeeze into the cup without realizing it.

Well it is not going to clean itself out.You will need to clean it with some qtips pipe cleaners or something that will not damage the inside of the brush. Take the air cap of and clean out all the air passages. This is not where the problem lyes though. The main clog is on the inside of the fluid passage. Remove the neddle and the cone on the front of the brush. This is where the clog usually is. Clean out the entire passage. On gravity feed brushes the build up will be on the bottom of the passage. Youshould be able to reassemble and use right away. One tip on gravity guns or brushes when you are done using it claen well them store them upside down. Believe it or not there is a small amount of paint in the gun/brush that actually builds up in time that will eventually clog up the passage. Thus choking up the fluid passage that can cause the bubbles in the cup. Also sometimes it will blow chunks of dry paint That is a pain. All of my painters at work use this method and swear by it now.

Everyone pretty much nailed it....when it comes to bubbles in the cup you've got a clog....make sure item #3(fluid tip) in this schematic is clean inside...it should be big enough to get a pipe cleaner or Q-tip inside of it....I use those Dill's brand pipe cleaners with the little red bristles on them for stubborn cleanings....let the tip soak in a bit of lacquer thinner for a few minutes....that'll easily break free any dried acrylic paints from inside.

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

eclipseschematic.jpg

4696_thumb.attach

Brett: You already have your answer in spades but undaunted here is my 2 cents worth. The folks at Medea (Iwata suppliers, etc) told me to use a dental brush. They sell packs of them in Rx stores near the dental floss. Tiny little guys with soft bristles on a nylon like core.

I tend to use higher pressures with the Wasco Transpars; seems to help a little.

OK guys soaked me main part of the brush over night in acitone. Then ran a pipe cleanter thru it and put it back together everying seemed to be going well untill I put the needle in. Then pulled the trigger. It still blew the cap off of the paint cup. I also tried cleaning it with testers airbrush cleaner. Any other ideas or something more spacific I can check for a blockage?

OK guys soaked me main part of the brush over night in acitone.

By the way.....Soaking your airbrush in ANY strong solvent overnite is a bad idea.....fully submerging the airbrush body in solvent for anything more then just a few seconds can cause you trouble.....Your airbrushes needle bearings might be made of a solvent resistent teflon, but I can assure you, the rubber O-rings in the air valve are not, and soaking them in solvent is a great way to cause them to swell up and cause the air valve to start giving you problems....that can also makes the O-rings dry out and crack prematurely.

If you feel you have such a severe clog that you need to soak your airbrush, you should do so in some type of cup so that you can stand the airbrush body on its nose in the solvent and keep the air valve assembly in the air.....do the rest of your cleaning with Q-tips, pipe cleaners or small brushes.