DanCampbell

Notebook

I use MS spreadsheet.

I record: wood density, weight of blank, this allows me to calculate the weight of ballast required.

I also record the weight after each part of the process for the first lure. This allows me to monitor each subsequent lure. This gives me good repeatability.

Such fine control is only really necessary is you are making hunters or going for neutral buoyancy. Also I am anal.

If you are continually changing the geometry or layout of hardware, it would be a good idea to log these too: ballast location, hook locations, lip angle, number of top coats, etc. Anything that you are likely to vary. Don't forget to log the result: action, depth, roll, etc.

Dave

I use a regular notebook with hand written details. I draw the bait on top of the page and mark the lip slot, weight port, line tie, and tail hanger positions. I list the dia wire used, amount of balast weight, depth of lip slot, and material of lip. I've found this to be a very simple method to keep up with needed info on each bait.

I also use a notebook. That makes it handy to jot down info as I work at the bench. I write down the bait design name, number of baits in the batch, paint scheme on each bait, and the build details I need to reproduce the bait - wood type, amount of ballast, lip type, waterproofing, topcoat, hardware and lip specs, and the finished weight of each bait with the treble hooks. I use a library of body and lip templates, so don't need for pics or diagrams on my "standards". When I'm prototyping a new bait, I get more detailed and add traces of the body with ballast position noted, and the lip. I note the weight of the sanded blank before ballast and weigh the bait several times during the build to see how choices in waterproofing, ballast, and finish affect the weight. The data allows me to build a bait that's usually within .01 oz of a target weight. It's easy to jot this stuff down while you do the bait and having details is essential for future builds. Believe me, if you do more than 10 baits per year, you will forget how you did it.