Kris

After reading...I got 2 questions??

I've read a bunch of the posts on finishes. It seems the Dick Nite's, D2T, and ETEX or what are used the most. My questions are:

1. I'm I correct in that ONLY D2T requires a drying wheel? The others can be hung?

2. Does anyone have any experience with any of the finishing clear coats that rod builders use?

If you're "gonna be building baits" and want to topcoat with epoxy - including ETEX or D2T, you might as well go ahead and build yourself a rotation frame. ETEX is runnier than D2T and takes longer to harden. You can usually take D2T baits off a wheel in 45-60 min vs 2-3 hrs with ETEX. D2T is thick enough and cures fast enough that you can put a hanger in each end of the bait and switch it upside down every few minutes for 45 minutes if you don't have a wheel.

I have used several rod finish epoxies like Flexcoat and Glass Coat. Some guys like them on crankbaits but I prefer D2T as it's faster to cure. I haven't used rod epoxies in awhile but had some problems with them yellowing on white baits a few years ago, so switched.

My preference for trouble free, quick and easy topcoating is dipping baits in Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane. Dip'em, Hang'em, Done. A single dip is similar to the topcoat you'll find on most commercial crankbaits. I've used multiple dips but can't tell a big difference in durability. Important tip - if you go with Dick Nite, do yourself a favor and order some Bloxygen Finish Preserver to spray into your dipping jar whenever you close its lid. It's the only way I've found for a hobby builder to keep a jar of DN from curing after a few months. BTW, as far as cost, DN is at least as cost effective as epoxy, even if you're dipping baits and "wasting" some. You're "wasting" epoxy too when you mix up a batch.

JMHO

Kris,

If you will click on Dick Nites banner on this site it will carry you to a special page that Dick has set up only for TU members. He gives a special price to members and it is quite substantial. I believe you can order the top coat in sizes up to a gallon. I ordered a pint recently to give it a try. The main reason I wanted to try his product is that there is no mixing involved and it comes with some pretty high recommendations from several of the members at TU. It can also be dipped, painted on with a brush, or sprayed. One thing I will say about Dick Nite, he is extremely helpful and never seems to busy to provide that help.

RayburnGuy

I've never had a problem ordering DN. He runs a business and sells to us TUers at a steep discount as a favor. If he's a little slow answering an email on occasion - well, everyone has priorities, like paying the rent, feeding the family, etc.

Like RayburnGuy sez, access his site via the banner ad on this page to get discount prices available only to TU members. I think he also offers a small amount of topcoat for the price of shipping it, if you want to "try before you buy" a bigger amount.