curiousangler

bondo mold questions ?

for the guys making molds out of bondo body filler, are you mixing it with the fiberglass resin bondo to make it pourable or what are you doing to make it pourable , if you are mixing what ratio are you using ? the filler comes with a hardner and the resin comes with a hardner do I mix these in each seperately then combine the 2 mixtures or mix resin and filler together then add on of the hardners or both someone help me out here?

Jay is correct. I always think of Bondo as a filler.

As long as both components state "polyester resin" on the containers, they can be mixed. Neither of the components that I use are made by Bondo. Bondo products, like Devcon products, are not available in Indonesia.

Do not confuse the resins either. Resin can be polyester or epoxy. I googled some boat building web sites. They use both, but the layer in contact with the water is never polyester resin. Polyester resin has water resistance issues.

The reason that I mixed the filler and resin, was to avoid the distortion and heat cracking that everyone talks about with pure polyester resin. The down side, is that the resin/filler mix will warp after a few pours (I pour lead, not plastic). But this problem too can be solved. Read this thread link for a full explanation by Sagacious:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/soft-plastics/16214-what-should-i-make-mold-out.html

Dave

for the guys making molds out of bondo body filler, are you mixing it with the fiberglass resin bondo to make it pourable or what are you doing to make it pourable , if you are mixing what ratio are you using ? the filler comes with a hardner and the resin comes with a hardner do I mix these in each seperately then combine the 2 mixtures or mix resin and filler together then add on of the hardners or both someone help me out here?

I just use the resin but I back off a little on the catalyst so as to not create to much heat when curing, works great and I have made several molds.

Cool. didn't look that deep into them. What texture does it have when mixed? Pourable or still puddy like?

I have made many molds out of each and even a couple with resin and bondo half and half on top of each other to test best surfaces.

I don't get much shrinkage at all even with 12" lures. but I have had a few just snap in 2 when heating up to much during drying.

Cool. didn't look that deep into them. What texture does it have when mixed? Pourable or still puddy like?

I have made many molds out of each and even a couple with resin and bondo half and half on top of each other to test best surfaces.

I don't get much shrinkage at all even with 12" lures. but I have had a few just snap in 2 when heating up to much during drying.

Hey Jay,

I mixed the two to a consistency of Honey and used the catalyst that came with the body filler for some lead castings. Here's how it comes out.

I don't know how the soft plastic models will take the heat of the curing Bondo. Any hard model had better be bathed in release agent and not have any undercuts, or it isn't coming out.

Baittail.jpg

Edited by Husky

Looks good. I'll have to try that.

Husky I have made several molds with straight bondo body filler. I don't use anything as a release when making molds out of any material. Not for resin, bondo, puddy, or POP. All come out fine. No lures melt even when I added to much hardeners and the molds snapped in half. I couldn't touch them they were so hot but the lures were still good.

I can see a shine on that mold. Surface texture looks good.

Question. Do you mix the resin and bondo together before adding hardener or do you mix them with there hardeners then mix together?

Looks good. I'll have to try that.

Husky I have made several molds with straight bondo body filler. I don't use anything as a release when making molds out of any material. Not for resin, bondo, puddy, or POP. All come out fine. No lures melt even when I added to much hardeners and the molds snapped in half. I couldn't touch them they were so hot but the lures were still good.

I can see a shine on that mold. Surface texture looks good.

Question. Do you mix the resin and bondo together before adding hardener or do you mix them with there hardeners then mix together?

Yes, I mix them prior to adding the catalyst. I use the catalyst as if it were straight Body Filler. IIRC, all the Body Filler is, is Resin with a filler i.e. talc to thicken it and give it body.

When you get it to the consistency of honey, it becomes very pourable and really picks up every detail, while also self leveling well.

You can ponder how you want to do it while sitting in your hot tub, sipping Chardonay.:whistle:

You have PM's on SBO.

Edited by Husky

Yes, I mix them prior to adding the catalyst. I use the catalyst as if it were straight Body Filler. IIRC, all the Body Filler is, is Resin with a filler i.e. talc to thicken it and give it body.

When you get it to the consistency of honey, it becomes very pourable and really picks up every detail, while also self leveling well.

You can ponder how you want to do it while sitting in your hot tub, sipping Chardonay.:whistle:

You have PM's on SBO.

LOL

Charda who?

I have a full size beer fridge and several bottles of Tequila.:sauced:

Going to mix a batch tonight to check it out. Thanks.